How are these DiMarzio pups?

steve_man

• Members

I think they are great. Definitely low output. Think of it as the opposite of the Super Distortion or the Tone Zone. Low output and a bit brighter and more middy than most humbuckers. It's basically their take on the Burstbucker/57 Classic/Seth Lover.

• Members

I don't know about that specific dimarzio paf but I will tell you this; I have a dimarzio paf from '82 or '83 that I bought new and it is easily, hands down the sweetest sounding humbucker I own. I'm putting into the bridge an sx strat I just picked up. I also have a new dimarzio paf in my les paul custom (neck) and it is a great sounding humbucker, very round and full and not muddy at all - sweet sounding.

• Members

SD makes the Seth Lover's, the 59's, the Pearly Gates and the Antiquity's, with the Seth Lover's probably being closest to an orig. PAF. They aren't wax potted so feedback and squeal is greater with loud playing. I tried the 59's in the bridge of a Paul and did not care for it. But the neck 59 sounded pretty good. I'm partial to Gibson's Classic 57's and for a little extra punch, their Classic 57 Plus, which I chose for the bridge in my Paul. DiMarzio makes a good pu, especially for the price. I'm using DiMarzio's in my custom Tele and am pretty happy with them. Those DP103N PAF's look and sound pretty good, considering they're much less than Holmes or even Classic 57's.

• Members

i have virtual paf/virtual hot paf in one of my guitars which are the older version of these and like them ALOT!

I have the Virtual PAF Neck and the Virtual Bridge in a Washburn WI-64. Awesome, Awesome, Awesome pups! I'm probably gonna drop the 36th Anniversary into my Epi LP.

BTW - their vintage single coils are wonderful as well. I have the True Velvet and Virtual Velvet sets. Beautiful classic strat tones without breaking the bank!

• Members

Any idea of what the comparable Seymour Duncan would be?

The Seth Lover or the Antiquity.

Like I said above, the 36th Anniversary, 57 Classic, Burstbucker 1 and 2, Seth Lover, Antiquity... those are all fairly true takes on the original design, not hopped up for modern tones. Some are potted, some aren't. Some are a hair brighter or more aggressive, but none of them are remotely in the JB or Super Distortion type 'hopped up' HB.

I'm not saying there aren't difference because there are, but I wouldn't spend weeks agonizing over the differences, esp if you tend to use a pedal for dirt which will minimize the differences in outputs thus how hard they hit the preamp section of your amp(s).

:idk:

• Members

The DiMarzios are probably better. The '57 Classics have alnico 2 magnets. I believe alnico 5 are better. A little more output. A little more beef.

I'd have to disagree with this.....I've got a pair of Burstbucker Pro's in a guitar, and some 57 classics in a few guitars. The 57's are superior sounding pickups IMO.......

• Members

Thanks!

Don't base your opinion on Paul's tone. That guy wouldn't know good tone if it fell off a shelf and smashed his skull in.

The Dimarzio's sound good from all I've heard. I'd like to get a set myself.

I'll also vote for 57's over the BB's. The 57's are probably my favorite pup.

• Members

I have the Virtual PAF Neck and the Virtual Bridge in a Washburn WI-64. Awesome, Awesome, Awesome pups! I'm probably gonna drop the 36th Anniversary into my Epi LP.

BTW - their vintage single coils are wonderful as well. I have the True Velvet and Virtual Velvet sets. Beautiful classic strat tones without breaking the bank!

absolutley.. i have a a strat with with Area 58(N), Area 58(M), Area 61(B) that floors me every time i pick it up... its sound amazing

• Members

I have a pair of DMarzio PAF Pro's in my guitar and another one on the way with a DiMarzio PAF Pro in the lead and a Classic DP190 in the neck position.

I love the way they sound! I've had SD Seth Lovers, and '59's but like the DiMarzio's a bit better.

A note about Gibson 57 PAF's and Burstbuckers. I've had historics with both types. Each guitar will react differently to the exact same pickup when changed out of one guitar, where it sounded spectacular, and put into another guitar. The Les Paul Forum talks about this all the time. Which pickup sounds best will be dependent to a point on how the guitar's natural tone accepts or rejects each pickup, tonally.

With the Gibsons, they are not all the exact same in resistance readings. They flucuate from about 7.3 to 8.3 in each pickup. The Burstbuckers have unevenly wound bobbins whereas the 57's are evenly wound. They each sound different, depending on the amount of resistance each pickup has and the guitar it goes into.

The pots, how they are wired, and to a point the caps in the guitar, will affect the tone as well. It turns out to be a combination of everythng in the electronic chain.

Look at the specs of the DiMarzio pickup on their website and make a decision from what you read if you do not have the ability to audition each pickup type. You will get close, but will really not know which actual model pickup is going to be the best, unless you can audtion them all.

• Members

I have a pair of DMarzio PAF Pro's in my guitar and another one on the way with a DiMarzio PAF Pro in the lead and a Classic DP190 in the neck position.

I love the way they sound! I've had SD Seth Lovers, and '59's but like the DiMarzio's a bit better.

A note about Gibson 57 PAF's and Burstbuckers. I've had historics with both types. Each guitar will react differently to the exact same pickup when changed out of one guitar, where it sounded spectacular, and put into another guitar. The Les Paul Forum talks about this all the time. Which pickup sounds best will be dependent to a point on how the guitar's natural tone accepts or rejects each pickup, tonally.

With the Gibsons, they are not all the exact same in resistance readings. They flucuate from about 7.3 to 8.3 in each pickup. The Burstbuckers have unevenly wound bobbins whereas the 57's are evenly wound. They each sound different, depending on the amount of resistance each pickup has and the guitar it goes into.

The pots, how they are wired, and to a point the caps in the guitar, will affect the tone as well. It turns out to be a combination of everythng in the electronic chain.

Look at the specs of the DiMarzio pickup on their website and make a decision from what you read if you do not have the ability to audition each pickup type. You will get close, but will really not know which actual model pickup is going to be the best, unless you can audtion them all.

That's really the problem with pups...I wish someone would come up with a way to easily demo pups in your own guitar without actually buying them...a quick connect system, if you will...

• Members

Don't base your opinion on Paul's tone. That guy wouldn't know good tone if it fell off a shelf and smashed his skull in.

The Dimarzio's sound good from all I've heard. I'd like to get a set myself.

I'll also vote for 57's over the BB's. The 57's are probably my favorite pup.

yeah, compare this clip with the same pups...sounds WAY better here...

[YOUTUBE]CeWoz4SmwB4[/YOUTUBE]

Nice job Jim...:thu:

• Members

That's really the problem with pups...I wish someone would come up with a way to easily demo pups in your own guitar without actually buying them...a quick connect system, if you will...

EMG has a really good one.

Too bad nobody but them uses it.

Archived