My Pro Junior sounds like a Marshall - I think....

o.versteer

• Members

I've got a relic Pro Junior that came with my relic Telecaster. The guitar is stellar, but I've never clicked with the amp really.

So, this week I decided to retube it and see what gives. Two new JJ 12AX7's and two Groove Tubes EL84's later, the sound is transformed. This thing screams.

However....

It doesn't sound like a Fender amp. I have a Deluxe Reverb as well, and it sounds nothing like that. Now, that makes a certain amount of sense given the tube configuration, but I'd sortof expected a Fender amp to sound like one.

I'm not an expert, but I think it sounds more like a Marshall. OK clean tone (but not with the proper Fender magic) and agressive rocky overdrive. Not unpleasant, and the "Just Got Paid" riff sounds awesome with my Hamer Special HB, but it doesn't sound like a Fender amp.

I don't really know where I'm going with this, I was just mildly surprised. Anyone else of the same opinion?

• Members

I think a lot of times Fender amps can sound somewhat Marshally when pushed, esp with HBs.

The Tweed Deluxe for example. Play it clean with single coils and almost everyone would say it sounds like a Fender. Crank it with HBs and I bet 80% or more players would think it sounds more like a Marshall than a Fender.

Archived