Severe Guitar Center Failure...

-Assy-

• Members

Drove all the way to Fairfax VA today (about 1.5 hours), to try out a Mesa Lonestar (i found one locally for 600 bucks, a 212 combo). Every god damn outlet in the store had grounding issues, like BAD. clean had a very very obnoxious buzzing, i KNEW it wasnt my guitar, but for the benefit of the doubt of the dumbass sales guy who blamed it on my guitar because "I wired it wrong" (one of the ones from my shop), i tried two other guitars, and another cable. Every single outlet, i tried out 4 amps in different locations.

What a useless place to try out anything, the buzzing was so bad when you put it on a lead channel on any amp, it was practically useless. Don't bother going here if you want to hear what any amp really sounds like. :facepalm:

• Members

Drove all the way to Fairfax VA today (about 1.5 hours), to try out a Mesa Lonestar (i found one locally for 600 bucks, a 212 combo). Every god damn outlet in the store had grounding issues, like BAD. clean had a very very obnoxious buzzing, i KNEW it wasnt my guitar, but for the benefit of the doubt of the dumbass sales guy who blamed it on my guitar because "I wired it wrong" (one of the ones from my shop), i tried two other guitars, and another cable. Every single outlet, i tried out 4 amps in different locations.

What a useless place to try out anything, the buzzing was so bad when you put it on a lead channel on any amp, it was practically useless. Don't bother going here if you want to hear what any amp really sounds like.
:facepalm:

$600 for a Lonestar is like free.

• Members

yeah i know, but the one in the store sounded so {censored}ing bad. even when i managed to cut through the bull{censored} noise the lead channel just straight sucked for lead. a cool broken-up clean channel yeah, but if i want that i can pick up another amp for way cheaper and way less heavy.

• Members

Just think of all of the stuff in GC that's potentially interfering with the guitars and amps...dozens of computer systems, long runs of power strips, florescent lights, printers, loudspeakers, DJ lighting systems, dozens of effects and digital boxes, etc. It's no wonder an amp would sound noisy. What kind of guitar did you take with you? Because if it had single coils, you never had a chance to begin with.

Personally, I love Guitar Center and Musicians Friend. They've been very, very good to me over the years.

• Members

they were single coils, but they appear to be noiseless (gfs brightons), they dont advertise to be noiseless, but there is no difference in background noise (there is none), when i have just one pickup on or two with a reverse wound, plus... look at my god damn shielding job, its air-tight (as much as possible in a guitar cavity anyways)

110_0243.jpg

• Members

I'm usually not one to rag on Guitar Center as I've had pretty decent experiences at both my local GCs.... BUT... last time I was in, I wanted to check out the Peavey Vypyrs again. The little wall/section where they have them, on the upper row, they had two 15W and two 30W. NONE of those four worked properly. One wouldn't turn on at all even when used with a known good power cable. One had a quiet 'wowowowow' throbbing kind of sound if ANY cable was plugged in including a known good one, one wouldn't react to a cable being plugged in (you know how the lights do the happy dance if there ISN'T a cable, plugged in? This one did it WITH a cable plugged in) and the fourth one had a high pitched screech constantly as if on maximum volume.

0 for 4. Not good. Plus one of the two guitars they had hangin on that wall was an SG400 and if you tried to move the bridge volume, it felt rubbery and the bridge tone and the neck volume both rotated like 0.5" in sympathy as if all 3 of those knobs were loose inside or something.

Even by mass store standards, I was shocked. I pointed it out to one of the guys and he actually said, 'yeah... they're {censored} amps'.

:lol:

• Members

I've noticed at my local GC that when you play one of their guitars, even the higher priced ones, they all need setup work. Ask if a setup with new strings is included in the price and they say no. WTF? People who don't know a bit about setup are gonna think these are just {censored}ty guitars. I've also noticed at one of the local sole proprietorships that every guitar has fresh strings and is properly set up. I know where I go first for anything guitar related. If they don't have it I head for Evilbay. Phuck GC!!! Give me fifteen minutes with each guitar they have and they would sell 3 times as many guitars. This aint rocket surgery.

• Members

The GC near my house is ballin'. They hired a guy to do setups on their own guitars, all he does is setup GC guitars for sale. The outlets are all well grounded, no annoying noises, cool guys that dont BS you. then i make a trip to another one, and go damnit that was annoying. I think i might buy the Lone Star just for the sake of getting it in my own house and toying with it, if i dont like it ill just pass on a good deal and tack on another 100 bucks for my long-ass commute.

• Members

Just think of all of the stuff in GC that's potentially interfering with the guitars and amps...dozens of computer systems, long runs of power strips, florescent lights, printers, loudspeakers, DJ lighting systems, dozens of effects and digital boxes, etc.

Don't forget the obnoxious drummers who can't afford their own kit.

• Members

so what are you looking for here? sympathy?

you could have bought that amp and either

a) played it somewhere else to hear clean (or even tried a different guitar)

b) had a tech check it out

c) sold it for a nice profit, even if you did (b)

you gave up a sweet deal and you're afraid of driving in snow.

OK

• Members

Well, back in
my
day, we used to walk 15 miles to school...

Even the old timers that now live in DC, Baltimore or Philly are saying 'Jesus Christ, this weather is {censored}ed up. It would have shut us down, too... even back in MY day!'

:lol:

• Members

I've trekked to that GC a number of times - nice store but the people annoy me totally.

What a useless place to try out anything, the buzzing was so bad when you put it on a lead channel on any amp, it was practically useless. Don't bother going here if you want to hear what any amp really sounds like.
:facepalm:

Archived