Close-quarters, Travel-ready Beater Guitar

Sharkfin

• Members

What guitar has the following qualities?

- Rock solid, built like a tank. Able to survive travel within the city housed in only a flimsy gig bag.

- Relatively compact. For the travel reasons and also because the practice area is rather cramped.

- Relatively light-weight. Again for travel.

- Relatively comfortable, especially when sitting.

- Preferably simple layout and holds tune well.

- Relatively cheap, a few hundred maybe.

What would you suggest?

• Members

I once scored a Synsonic self-amplified for $15 at a garage sale. Kept it behind the seat of my Ranger pickup to have a beater I could play any time I got a moment and/or felt the need to play. Sold it a profit, but I sorta wish I still had it...

• Members

I was looking for a beater guitar with those qualities and wound up buying a used Jay Turser Les Paul goldtop copy off Craig's List for $80. It turned out to be a surprisingly good guitar and even better after I upgraded the pickups with a Duncan Jazz and Gibson 500T that I had laying around. Sounds great and is very light weight.

• Members

Get an old Peavey T-series. They're cheap, built like goddamn tanks, sometimes short-scale for compactness (such as the T-15), and comfortable. Downside: they can be pretty heavy as well. Oh, and they're about the cheapest quality USA-made guitar you can get right now.

+1

Also, probably the best to guitar to grab in a bar fight.

• Members

Get an old Peavey T-series. They're cheap, built like goddamn tanks, sometimes short-scale for compactness (such as the T-15), and comfortable. Downside: they can be pretty heavy as well. Oh, and they're about the cheapest quality USA-made guitar you can get right now.

+1

I got a T-15 a few weeks ago. I will never sell it. The only down side is parts are hard to get - but in most cases you can replace with alternative/3rd party parts.

T-15_1.JPG

Another suggestion is a P90 equipped GG1 Jr or similiar from rondo. They run about $120 delivered.

- w

• Members

Steinberger Spirit. I have never been prevented from carrying it on board a plane.

spirit_gtpro-deluxe_dk.jpg

This.

Also, the various pre-Gibson knockoffs of the Steinie by Cort or Hohner.

Neck-through design, no head, and almost no body extending beyond the bridge means it travels better than most so-called "travel" guitars.

Get a 2-HB model, drop in some better pickups, and you've essentially got an SG that takes up about half the space.

Archived