GIBSON SG - The best all-round rock'n roll guitar?

Sleepin' Deeper

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If not the best, it is certainly one that is hard to beat.

and Im a Fender guy.

+1!

I do like Gibsons - just not the company. But I do like the looks of them... the SG especially.

I love the SG. It just looks so rock 'n roll.

cherry_sg_standard_gibson_002.jpg

But, I'll never be seen with one. I might try one out in Manson's in a few days, but I don't think I could own one. I'd be embarrassed to be seen with that name on the headstock judging by all the crap about Henry J, Fish and Wildlife, and the general awfulness of that company. It's just the way I feel... maybe it will change if Gibson boots Henry J and cleans up its act.

It is a stunning looking guitar though :thu:

• Members

Not THE BEST, but a very good guitar with some good attributes.

Double cutaway body for easy Fret access

Thin and light for comfort

Hot sounding humbucker pick-ups

It still will never sound as clean as a Strat or as Heavy as a Les Paul, but it is a nice middle ground.

If you could only have one guitar, it would not be a bad choice.:)

I will say, my 3 Pick-up SG Custom has about the nicest Clean sounds I've ever heard out of a Gibson, the middle pick-up selector gets the middle and bridge pick-up together, a Fendery Twang out of two humbuckers that I like alot.:)

They now make a SG Standard with two pick-ups and coil tapping, that would be the guitar to own if you could own just one.:thu:

• Members

I have two, and they just kick ass. I play everything from (attempts at) Jazz through heavy rock, and some 80's metal and they get the job done pretty well for me.

I have to go with comfort over function, do a questionable back, but thankfully in this case I get both.

• Members

how is it any different than any other dual humbucker, 3 way switch 2xtone 2xvolume guitar????

I would say its more user error than the guitar being a "one trick pony"

I agree with this a whole bunch though. Except add, thin body made of mahogany toned wood. If its really bright wood, or really thick body, you kind of leave the middle ground the SG tends to hang out in, IMHO

• Members

Nah.

It's an LP lite for girlies.

REAL men play LP's or Telecasters.

SG's are too light, and Strats are too comfy, with their namby pamby contouring.

Unless of course, you ARE a girl, or Angus Young, in which case I'll let you off.....

:D

:thu:

SUPER FAIL

Sonisphere_Tony-Iommi.jpg

• Members

By virtue of upper fret access, perhaps.

when I owned a LP and sg standard at the same time, I didnt find any great disparity in their versatility or ability to be used for rock..... fret access wasnt a huge deal as you can get around on the LP well enough....

just my opinion, I just dont see the big difference that some people proclaim....

if somebody argued say a Jackson Soloist versus LP then I can spot some major differences that one could argue make for a better rock guitar.....

• Members

how is it any different than any other dual humbucker, 3 way switch 2xtone 2xvolume guitar????

I would say its more user error than the guitar being a "one trick pony"

I think it's in the body....i've always found it extremely thin and simply not as resonant as other instruments - which makes it sound great on that AC DC sound, but not as much on others. ...just my $.02

• Members

One trick pony? No.

A guitar is as versatile as the person playing it.

When are some of you going to get this through your heads?

:) relax.

I guess I should say that i never owned one....but I never owned one because i was never impressed by it. I sat down with a few. (and i believe myself to be a pretty versatile guitarist [mind you].) I actually used one for days on end when i used to teach lessons at a store that sold them....a bit later, my roommate for 2 years had one. so, my opinion was formed with some experience behind it.

i didn't like it on many styles except for one or two.

Archived