GIBSON SG - The best all-round rock'n roll guitar?

Sleepin' Deeper

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like my SG...I go through spells were I prefer it over my LP...then back n forth. My SG Standard at least with its stock pickups is darker than my LP Standard with BB Pro's...which means not as nice clean as my LP as its too dark...but its maybe more creamier on OD sounds. Acoustically ie listening to its natural tone unplugged my SG is the MOST RESONANT guitar in my collection.

• Members

I really like the twangier single coil sounds, like Strats and Teles and Gretsches (whatever the plural of that is), but I will say this: the singer/rhythm guitar guy in my band has a recent SG Classic (the red one with P-90's), and it's an effing FACE MELTER.

I've played it in gigs a couple of times, and it doesn't seem to me to be as subtle or as versatile (at least with the way that I play), but it screams and yells like no other guitar I've ever played.

• Members

I love SGs. I have an Epiphone G-400 Deluxe that is much nicer than both a Gibson Sg Standard and an SG Special that 2 of my friends have (apart from the pickups, which are being swapped very soon).

epiphoneg400flametopele.jpg

(not actually mine, mine's at the studio - but it looks exactly the same)

Distinctive midrange growl, great sustain, uninhibited upper-fret access. the only drawback is that it is neck-heavy, like all traditional SGs.

As to whether it's the best guitar for "rock n' roll", that's entirely subjective. Rock n' roll is a pretty broad term. Right now I'm using it in a hard rock band and it is perfect. I used to use superstrats with floyd rose trems but got sick of them.

If the SG isn't your idea of the perfect rock n. roll guitar, I'd like to know what is. :)

• Members

In my opinion, yes. Or at least one of them. Its like the bastard child that happened when a strat and Les Paul had a one night stand. For me it has most of the best features of both with none of the drawbacks. I will admit I think an H-S-S strat is a bit more versatile (heck I can make mine go from a bluesy light gain sound to roaring its ass off with a flip of a switch and a twist of a knob), but as much as I love strats I just don't mesh with them as well as SGs.

• Members

In my opinion, yes. Or at least one of them. Its like the bastard child that happened when a strat and Les Paul had a one night stand. For me it has most of the best features of both with none of the drawbacks. I will admit I think an H-S-S strat is a bit more versatile (heck I can make mine go from a bluesy light gain sound to roaring its ass off with a flip of a switch and a twist of a knob), but as much as I love strats I just don't mesh with them as well as SGs.

best features of both? an SG doesn't really have any of the features that define a strat :poke:

• Members

best features of both? an SG doesn't really have any of the features that define a strat :poke:

Small body, a tad of the bright snappiness of a strat that an LP doesn't have, light weight, comfortable to play. Those are what I'm referring to. At least in my personal opinion.

• Members

I like my SG...I go through spells were I prefer it over my LP...then back n forth. My SG Standard at least with its stock pickups is darker than my LP Standard with BB Pro's...which means not as nice clean as my LP as its too dark...but its maybe more creamier on OD sounds. Acoustically ie listening to its natural tone unplugged
my SG is the MOST RESONANT guitar in my collection

That so far is my thought to,I miss my SG standard:cry: It had BB Pro's in it.

• Members

My SG Standard is pretty much my go to guitar, as it is just very comfortable and it is my favorite neck. I really love the nasal quality of the neck pickup with the tone rolled off. That setup is a really gnarly lead tone when run through a wah or then into a phase pedal. You can also get some Les Paul thick rhythm by putting it in the middle position and then dialing in the low end with the neck pickup. It gets pretty hi-fi sounding.

I have been tinkering with the idea of getting some different pickups that are setup for coil splitting and maybe adding it to the guitar. I think adding that feature with the right pickups and wiring would really make it quite a versatile guitar.

A SG with P90s is also really ripping, a really great guitar for getting old Who, Santana and Sabbath tones. It's both really crunchy and wide open at the same time.

Archived