OT: March 3, Gordon Lightfoot

LeftyTom

• Members

Finally saw him a couple years ago and gotta say that he's still got it though probably not to the extent of a Dave Mason, Eric Burden or Don Mclean who I've also seen recently. His voice seems a bit weaker. He does seem to be holding up better than guys like Merle Haggard and John Prine however.

• Members

Good to hear that Gordon is still alive! He's one of my favorite song-writers.

Funny story: A couple of young LDS missionaries were in my neighborhood, and I struck-up a conversation with them, asking where it was that they were from.

One of the fellows was from Canada, and I asked if had heard much from Gordon Lightfoot lately (I had heard Gordon was ill).

The LDS fellow had no idea who I was talking about. I guess he's young, and it would be a bit like expecting a 19 year-old from the states to answer a question about Arlow Guthrie. But I would have figured that Gordon must be a Canadian national institution, akin to Sinatra.

• Members

I've enjoyed Lightfoot's music since I was a kid, listening to my older brother's records. The guy is in his 70's, and he's done some hard drinking, so it isn't surprising his voice isn't what it was. Still, I'd love to see him. I really only started to rediscover his stuff a few years ago. I went off folk music for a long time. It was nice to hear his stuff from a fresh vantage point, and hear that his music still holds up very well today.

Other great Canadian musicians from that era; Randy Bachman and Burton Cummings, from The Guess Who.

Cheers,

Glenn

• Members

Yeah, Gord's tunes do hold up well. I'm almost done with my CD of his tunes.
It should show up on CD BABY in early March. If any of you die hard Gord fans pm me with your snail mail address you may get a freebie from me so I can get some feedback from you.
Man, mechanical licensing is expensive!

• Members
no it is a true story. and i have 3 kids of my own.
:p

Pardon my defensiveness. But every since I shared the story about how, when I worked in a restaurant in Vegas, I tossed Liberace's salad...things just haven't been the same.

More on-topic:

I always thought that Gordon's lyric from, "Wherefore and Why" would be a good quote for a funeral memorial:

"Then all at once it came to me, I saw the wherefore
And you can see it if you try
It's in the sun above, it's in the one you love
You'll never know the reason why"

/we shall not speak of his Disco-period.

• Members
Pardon my defensiveness. But every since I shared the story about how, when I worked in a restaurant in Vegas, I tossed Liberace's salad...things just haven't been the same.

No worries. On a side note, I also cooked for the Fabulous T-birds and John Oates. :lol: He was upset the waitress did not recognize him.

Not trying to hijack the thread. I love Gordon, he was a really cool guy and during his meal took time to take pics with everyone.

• 1 month later...

Archived