Honestly, best starting platform for strat project?

Steve the Hero

• Members

Must:

Be a standard strat S-S-S pickup configuration.

Be easy to find replacement parts for.

Not be plywood

Be able to give that classic strat sound

Sub $200 price range.

I plan on taking the project slowly and replacing pickups, electronics, tuners, nut, whatever it needs to become a great player.

Any suggestions? Squier Bullet, SX, Xaviere? Others?

Is the Squier Classic Vibe series worth the few extra dollars for a better starting platform?

Please no comments such as "Why don't you just buy a guitar you like that you don't need to modify?" Because honestly, screwing around with the guitar and making it my "own" is half the fun. (Playing is the other half) :love:

Feel free to post pictures of your cheap strats as well.

• Members

Look around for a MIM in rough shape.

To be honest, I would save some more money and buy some nicer then $200 parts. If you don't have the money now save for a bit. In the end it will be worth it.

I'm talking about buying a guitar for around $200 then buying new pickups and whatnot to upgrade from there. The reason being is that I am typically a telecaster and les paul player, I just want a guitar I can grab to give me that distinct strat sound without spending an arm and a leg.

• Members

What is your total budget? Or do you have one? Do you have a guitar to play now? The neck is the crucial part here. Different people like different necks. I recommend playing a bunch of guitars until you find one you like. If you plan on getting something and replacing the neck as well....................
http://www.kneguitars.com/vint_bod.php

• Members

What is your total budget? Or do you have one? Do you have a guitar to play now? The neck is the crucial part here. Different people like different necks. I recommend playing a bunch of guitars until you find one you like. If you plan on getting something and replacing the neck as well....................

Don't really have a total budget, just wanted to start around the $200 range and move up as I replaced with some nicer parts. Thanks for the link I will check that out.

• Members

You'd be surprised to know that the Affinity series are solid wood not plywood.

Also if you can find a Korean Squier they are good too!

For that matter, if you like thin necks the Korean Hamer Slammers are quite good. Great fretwork, great setup and {censored} pickups. But they go around a buck & a half new. I have one w/ash body, 2pt trem & a hipshot trem stabilizer installed. I just don't like the thin neck. PM me if interested.

• Members
Xaviere XV870 gets my vote, as it's exactly what I was looking for 2 years ago when I wanted a solid strat mod platform.
www.guitarfetish.com

Word of caution......unless GFS has changed things, the XV870 does NOT have a standard heel/neck pocket width. It's 2 1/4" which doesn't sound like much until you actually try and swap necks.

I really like the body on my sunburst XV870 (despite being 4 pieces) and would love to use a really nice Squier 50th Anniv neck I have (22 fret, chunky profile, and 1 11/16th nut) but the fit is just way too sloppy.

I would rec the Xaviere more as an 'as is' guitar than a modding platform.

• Members

90s MIM Strat - $300
Used American Standard alnico pups from eBay - $80/set or less.
Wiring mod to give bridge pup tone control - $0

You now have an excellent Strat that's closer to the spirit of the classic models than the new Standards are. Some people like to get a heavier trem block, but I think the stock one is fine.

A lot of players find they like the ceramic stock pups a whole lot more after the tone control mod.

Archived