I get the whole "mini in the neck" tele thing

twotimingpete

• Members

there was no need to chop it up for a mini, the mim body had ample space in the route for it. it appeared as though there was enough room for a full humbucker, I'd be surprised if one wouldn't fit.

if it didn't I never woulda installed it -- I'm not into cutting up wood on my guitars.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

against the spirit of the thread I found myself ordering a
GFS fatbody tele neck pickup
on a whim, (they look so cool) simply because it'd be fun to compare them (and replacing the neck pickup is relatively fast and easy compared to bridge on a tele -- I can do it without removing the strings, so going back and forth is no problem). maybe I'll post comparative clips.

I'm just way too into this tele to leave well enough alone. I want to try more things.
:)

Those are probably my favorite GFS pickups.

I'm betting that once you install it, you'll find a new home for the mini.....in a different tele.....

• Members

I had the Duncan Broadcaster in the bridge of my RW Tele (above) and liked it, but it was pretty thin/nasaly sounding. I swapped it out for the Jerry Donahue which has a very similar character, only beefed up in the low end, and not nasal.
If you're looking at a vintage style Tele bridge pickup
, I can't recommend that pickup enough
!!

Are you referring to the JD sig unit now ?

• Members

Full-size neckbucker (splittable):

64208937_f659426fdf.jpg

Reg'lar ol' Tele w/2 singles:

64187960_82afefb188.jpg

LOVE THESE TWO
:love::love:

What pu's do you have in these two ?

Oh my, thanks. Unlike seemingly everyone else here, I'm a bone-stock kinda guy. The sunburst is a MIM Tex-Mex Tele Special, so I reckon those are Tex-Mex pickups. The butterscotch blackguard is a '52 American Vintage RI, so I think they call the stock pups "American Vintage."

The Tex-Mex has coil-split on the neckbucker, so it has a 5-way switch. Again, that's how it came stock-- very versatile. The '52 AVRI has the weird original '50's wiring (I do have the conversion kit for modern wiring as well) with the 1st position the "pseudo bass" neck setting, the middle position with just neck, and the 3rd position just bridge. However, if you put the tophat at 2.5 you get neck+bridge, same as on the old 3-way Strats where players used to put the selector between 1 and 2, or between 2 and 3. I oughta get a 4-way switch so I don't have to go "between" the notches to get both neck and bridge, but given that I haven't got round to it in about a dozen years now, I doubt that'll ever happen!

Archived