• Members

4346890231_4a9627d1f4.jpg

'03 USA ash tele

kinman broadcaster in the bridge

SD seth lover in the neck

:love:

. . . how is that Seth Lover in the neck ?

Can it do jazz'y deep tones ?

Any feed back problems at hi volume ? I know they are very lightly wax potted, and heard they do skreeeem under a lot of gain.

• Members

I don't sorry but I can tell you that the middle position is huge,warmth from the neck pickup and articulation from the bridge pickup

neck alone is quite blues/jazzy and the bridge sounds like zepplin I

it's an awesome combination

Ahhhh, great to know !

Do you play in the middle pos. a lot ?

• Members

sweetest humbucker I've heard
definitely able to pull off jazz

haven't had any issues with feedback at all
:thu:

with just the regular single coils in I didn't,but now it's probably me "go to" switch position

though I use the kinman for heavy leads

GREAT combination!

Ah this is indeed good news.

I am playing w the idea of getting a Duncan Broadcaster & full size A2P for a '72 style project.

But is, as always open to other ideas too.

• Members

I don't think BG makes a mini-HB I wish he did.

For Mini-HBs I go with SD or Lollar.

No No...

I already have a SD minihum (SM-1) in a Tele. It's awesome. I am building another Tele that will have a conventional Tele neck pickup and was inquiring about SD Tele neck pickups. It's going to be an SD or one of Bryan's - maybe his new Alnico 3s

• Members

No No...

I already have a SD minihum (SM-1) in a Tele. It's awesome. I am building another Tele that will have a conventional Tele neck pickup and was inquiring about SD Tele neck pickups. It's going to be an SD or one of Bryan's - maybe his new Alnico 3s

I don't have any experience with the SD Alnico, just Fender. SD is known for their good Tele pickups, didn't Seymour start out making Tele pups?

As you know he BG makes great pups, I don't think you could go wrong with either.

I was thinking about finding an used MIM Tele and trying out that Tele Bridge A3 Rock Wind bridge, it sounds bad (in a good way).

• Members

I don't have any experience with the SD Alnico, just Fender. SD is known for there good Tele pickups, didn't Seymour start out making Tele pups?

As you know he BG makes great pups, I don't think you could go wrong with either.

I was thinking about finding an used MIM Tele and trying out that Tele Bridge A3 Rock Wind bridge, it sounds bad (in a good way).

I have a Broadcaster in my current Tele bridge (with the SM-1) neck, but I have no knowledge of SD Tele neck pickups. They don't seem to get the same recognition as his bridge models.

I am seriously thinking of going with the A3 Rock wind set in my upcoming build, but then again, if I do, I'll have 2 Teles, neither of which are "proper" Teles

• Members

I have a Broadcaster in my current Tele bridge (with the SM-1) neck, but I have no knowledge of SD Tele neck pickups. They don't seem to get the same recognition as his bridge models.

I am seriously thinking of going with the A3 Rock wind set in my upcoming build, but then again, if I do, I'll have 2 Teles, neither of which are "proper" Teles

I'm saving up now for a SD Jerry Donahue Tele Lead APTL-3JD to match up with my Mini.

I've spent alot of time over on tdpri searching Tele pickups. If I was you I might head over there and ask or search tradional Tele sound if that is what you want.

• Members
FUNKY KNOBS
:thu:

Thanks! I like them too (took them from the wash/dryers in the laundry room of my old apartment before I moved). Haha, you can see my switch plate isn't on all the way and the capacitor is sticking out. I haven't yet decided which value is my fav. so I just socket-ed it.

• Members

Here is yet another believer in the bridge SC/neck 'bucker Tele layout :

Shaw-hires-20pic.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/White-Sugar-Joanne-Shaw-Taylor/dp/B001MYZ2PG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1266839200&sr=1-1 - sounds good to my ears !

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Joanne+Shaw+Taylor&search_type=&aq=f - enjoy !

• Members

against the spirit of the thread I found myself ordering a GFS fatbody tele neck pickup on a whim, (they look so cool) simply because it'd be fun to compare them (and replacing the neck pickup is relatively fast and easy compared to bridge on a tele -- I can do it without removing the strings, so going back and forth is no problem). maybe I'll post comparative clips.

I'm just way too into this tele to leave well enough alone. I want to try more things. :)

• Members

Ah this is indeed good news.

I am playing w the idea of getting a Duncan Broadcaster
& full size A2P
for a '72 style project.

But is, as always open to other ideas too.

I had the Duncan Broadcaster in the bridge of my RW Tele (above) and liked it, but it was pretty thin/nasaly sounding. I swapped it out for the Jerry Donahue which has a very similar character, only beefed up in the low end, and not nasal. If you're looking at a vintage style Tele bridge pickup, I can't recommend that pickup enough!!

• Members

OK, so yeah, mini hums are cool blah blah blah. But real honest-to-god teles NEVER had weak pickups in the neck. In fact, often the output of the neck pickup was higher than the bridge pickup.

The reason a lot of players think that the neck pickup is weak and thin sounding is because there are so many crappy teles on the market made in the far east that use {censored}ty parts. For many of those factories, the tele neck pickup gets completely let down because they could care less what kind of magnets, wire, and flatwork they use. Basically, they create something that makes noise to fill the space and make the guitar look like a tele.

A good tele neck pickup is a thing of beauty--both the look and the tone. But good ones are few and far between. With a great tele like Fender's AVRI '52 [after you rewire it so that the middle position mixes the bridge and neck], you can get a great substitute for an acoustic guitar sound by setting the selector in the middle, backing off of the volume, turning the tone up full, and adding some subtle chorus and reverb through a clean Fender Deluxe or Vox AC 15 or 30. If you add some compression, you'll get even more acousticky tones. Anyone else know what I'm talkin' 'bout here?

On the other hand, I have no problem with a mini hum or a regular 'bucker in the neck. They also sound terrific and for some players make a lot more sense.

If I had a really cool tele that cost a grand or more, before I started chopping it up for a neck 'bucker, I'd at least try some cool traditional tele pickups.

Archived