I get the whole "mini in the neck" tele thing

twotimingpete

• Members

mimduncans.jpg

this is an SM-3n "seymourized" mini humbucker by Seymour Duncan. I got it last monday. The pickguard is GFS. it's worth noting that it bolted onto the MIM tele body without any modification and made for a nice clean fit. It's also perfectly white; next to the stock pickguard you see that the stocker is off-white.

I also installed a duncan little 59 bridge pickup (an SC sized humbucker).

It's been a few days since I've installed them, and I'm happy with them both, but the real stand out hit here is the neck pickup. very percussive and natural sounding; full and strong, but with lots of subtley and articulation. I don't see why anyone would use a stock tele neck, which is so weak and small by comparison. This mini is bold sounding but could sometimes even be mistaken for a single coil. It's very organic and I recommend this to others.

the bridge pickup actually doesn't just sound like your average humbucker.. it really does have a bit of an SC-like bite to the attack. hard to pinpoint, but it's got a character of its own. it definitely works for a variey of music.

mimduncans2.jpg

I think the pickups, the bridge in particular, could stand to be "opened up" a bit, so I'm thinking once I recover from my burns from the last installation session I'll swap the pot out for a 500k (the stock 250ks are still in there). I may change the cap out too to an 022 one. using a 500k pot was recommended to me for these (being that they're humbuckers) so I think it probably is for the best. they do need opened up a bit.

I also got a GFS delay pedal.

gfsdelay1.jpg

I'm not a delay expert, I've only ever owned one (which I don't anymore) and that was a boss dd-7 digital delay. to me, this one sounds extremely, extremely similar to the dd-7. it does what it's supposed to and the construction seems solid. can't complain.

It also has the tool-less battery compartment which I like.

gfsdelay2.jpg

one way of looking at it is when it comes to delay, go huge, or go small. going huge would mean getting something expensive with the whole tap thing that makes using them on stage much more practical. going small would mean the GFS -- feels sturdy, does what it's supposed to.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

thanks for the comments :)

My mini is in the neck of my Alleykat, but preach on. Best neck pickup ever.

Clean yet fat, great overdrive but no mud. It's a wonderful thing.

EG

that's a good description. you can crank up the OD but still keep definition and clarity. lot of fun.

it also balances well with the 59 in the middle position.

• Members

thanks for the comments
:)

that's a good description. you can crank up the OD but still keep definition and clarity. lot of fun.

it also balances well with the 59 in the middle position.

I have mine paired with a PAF style bucker and it is glorious. However, I am seriously thinking about going the route EG has and putting a P90 style pup in there. There are some attributes of the P90 I want and love and there are attributes of the PAF I have and love. Oh the decisions!

• Members

Glad to hear you're enjoying it. I also have the SD Little '59 in the bridge; I have for about 3 years now. I planned to install an SM2 in the neck, but ended up getting a better deal on a JB Jr neck model. With 500k CTS pots, both pickups sound amazing!

IMG_1203.jpg

nice tele, I didn't even know they made JB jrs for tele, neck or bridge.

• Members

is a bit fat win for you!

Nice configuration, very sexy!

And don't let anybody spoil it for you by saying it's not a tele unless it has a bridge single.

That's a kickass guitar.

and like I said, it almost sounds characteristically like a single coil neck. just bigger and bolder.

• Members

quick sorta unrelated question: if you split a humbucker into "single coil mode" (whether or not that's literally true I'm still not sure, but that's how people say it) does it still offer the full noise reduction benefits of a humbucker while split?

No. A humbucker that is split uses one of two coils. Both are needed for hum cancellation. A humbucker that is tapped is a whole 'nother story.

Archived