Tele bridges? (I.e. is the 100$ difference worth it?)

pekelnik

• Members

I see tele bridges of two types in general- the Fender/Wilkinson/etc ones that are made of stamped or hot rolled steel (same thing maybe?) and the ones from Callaham/Glendale that are made of cold rolled steel. Websites of the latter claim them to be unbelievably superior and make you doubt that a telecaster with another bridge would actually play. So, where is the truth? One can get the wilkinson compensated bridge for 30$ from Jay, the Fender for maybe 60-80 while the Callaham and Glenndale would cost me in the ballpark of 150 whooping dollars.

Is the price difference justified?

• Members
I see tele bridges of two types in general- the Fender/Wilkinson/etc ones that are made of stamped or hot rolled steel (same thing maybe?) and the ones from Callaham/Glendale that are made of cold rolled steel. Websites of the latter claim them to be unbelievably superior and make you doubt that a telecaster with another bridge would actually play. So, where is the truth? One can get the wilkinson compensated bridge for 30$ from Jay, the Fender for maybe 60-80 while the Callaham and Glenndale would cost me in the ballpark of 150 whooping dollars.

Is the price difference justified?

I think a standard fender steel bridge plate with brass compensated saddles gets the job done as good as it can be done.I can't see spending $150 on that as it's not going to make a a big difference really.:idk:

• Members

I think the most useful upgrade (and best bang for the buck) for a Tele bridge is the Joe Barden with the scooped corner on the front treble side corner. If you have a standard control layout, it gives you easier access to the pickup switch. If you do the Nashville reversed control thing, it gives you clear access to the volume control for swells and easier volume changes. It's well constructed. It has compensated saddles and sells for about $60.

Joe-Barden-Telecaster-Bridge-2.jpg

• Members

I have one of the Callaham trems on my #1 guitar. It's pretty nice, mostly I like the short trem arm as this is my Gilmour clone. I have well under $100 in my entire trem... Probably closer to $40. I doubt I would ever pay full price for the Callaham strat trem based on this one. The ~$40 Wilkinson with the pop in arm is plenty good for my needs and wants.

As for the Tele... personally, I can't imagine a non-moving steel part would make even a 1% difference as long as they are both actually steel and not pot metal.

I'd imagine trading a Fender for a Callaham would result in very, very minimal difference but going from a a pot metal bridge to the Callaham would likely be an improvement.

• Members

just put a glendale plate in my CV Tele - night and day difference all the way around. This thing rings out like a bell now. sustain improved dramatically. and unplugged the guitar sounds much louder.

you can see i'm still using the stock squier brass saddles. i will a/b those with a glendale set soon. the intonation on the low E is just off a bit. everything else is dead on....

glendale.jpg

• Members

Thanks guys. I guess the Joe Barden is the way to go. It would be cool to be able to A/B guitars with different bridges though. And unfortunately GFS doesn't stack Joe Barden bridges (or anything but Wilkinson really) which is not good cause I ideally want to minimize the number of shops I'm using due to horrible shipping charges...

• Members

I'm putting the tele style bridge from these guys on my redwood build... 110 bucks... May or not make a difference in tone and/or sustain... Either way, it is trick, and I like it...

I really like the look of that bridge, but I do wonder how well it allows one to palm-mute.

Have you had any experience playing one?

• Members

Brad Paisley does something similar. BTW got pics of that guitar? Paisley bound? Sweet.

I have Callaham hardware on my Crook t-style and I don't know if I would be able to tell the difference in sound just from the bridge. It looks to be a bit thicker but overall I couldn't say that it's worth it. The saddles however are a different story..

BCrook09_13.jpg

• Members

I really like the look of that bridge, but I do wonder how well it allows one to palm-mute.

Have you had any experience playing one?

Not yet... I will have this build done in the next couple days... As far as palm muting, I don't see that as a problem at all...

When I get this thing done, I will record a youtube demo...

• Members

Brad Paisley does something similar. BTW got pics of that guitar? Paisley bound? Sweet.

This was built by Bill Crook which is the person that builds BP's guitars. This is a tangerine pailsey, bound (actually pinstriped with paint due to trying to cut the paisley paper to work with real binding) with candy tangerine sides. I was told this is the first/only one he has done this way.

Sorry for the quick high jack....

BCrook09_2.jpgBCrook09_5.jpg

• Members

I hate ANY telecaster bridge with that LIP on the outside of it. Really hurts my hand.

I used to feel the same way before I owned one, but now I can't imagine it not being there. In fact now the American Standards look weird to me without it. Sometimes I anchor my pinky under the treble-side "lip." Love it.

• Members

Does anyone have or has anyone come across clips that A/B one of the higher end bridges with an economy version?

I'm plenty satisfied with the compensated brass wilky licensed one I have on my Tele and don't foresee any need to change it....especially considering that it only cost me 25 bucks.

I'm still curious to hear the differences and the tone enhancements as claimed.

Archived