B.C. Rich Mockingbird Special X

Velvet Hammer

• Members

I am looking at buyin this model Mockingbird. I was wondering if anybody has one or has any comments about them. The only one I have every played was a entry level B.C. Rich and it was awful. I really love the looks of a mockingbird I just want something different then a Les Paul. I also was looking at a Dean Cadillac.

• Members

I had one- very nice guitar... very Les Paulesque. Excellent quality.

Was not really my style, though and I needed to get rid of some of my heavier guitars because of back issues.

I know zuzuman has one that he likes.

I would definitely try to get used because resale value is not particularly high on most BC Rich overseas made guitars.

• Members

very nice guitar. I have a regular special.

The neck is FAT though, like we're talking fatter than gibson fat. But its super smooth to play because of the ebony board.

Oh, and i really didnt like the pickups... but i'm a high output guy. The ones in the mockingbird are rather low output and Paffy.

And the weight is good. Not backbreaking like a les paul, but it isnt a strat either :lol:

See if you can play one first. i absolutely love mine.

• Members

I love my white Mockingbird Special. The fat neck and ebony fretboard are my favorite features. It is heavy, but not superheavy. I guess mine weighs about 9 lbs. I have replaced the stock humbuckers with BG Pure90s. Sounds and plays great, with super low action. Excellent fit and finish all around.

The Special X are the newer models, but I would imagine they are the same quality. I would take the advice offered and find a used one. You can find used Mockingbird Specials and Special Xs for no more than $400, often with a hard case. At that price they are an excellent deal.

• Members

I dont like the necks on them. Not the fast easy play slimmer profile necks that made BC Rich famous for playability. But some prefer the wider fat neck style. If you want a standard nice fast slim necked mockingbird, get another model. Otherwise that one might do well for you.

Archived