classic vibe strats: 50s vs. 60s

twotimingpete

• Members

the official descriptions don't really do much as far as telling you specifically what's different between them.

I'm becoming more and more into the idea of maybe picking one up, and if there's no real difference I'll probably just pick the color I want most, which would probably mean 50's (lake placid blue).

anyone know what the deal is?

• Members

When they first came out, I compared them against each other twice and both times the 50s sounded better to my ears. Granted, I tend to play clean and with low gain rather than higher gain when playing strats.

• Members

I have not warmed up to the CV 60's strat yet for some reason and had it for a year now. But I just got a Yamaha PAC112 yesterday that is blowing me away right now. Bought it for all the good reviews I from what I see so far it's a keeper... Might want to go compare the two sometime.

• Members

I have not warmed up to the CV 60's strat yet for some reason and had it for a year now. But I just got a Yamaha PAC112 yesterday that is blowing me away right now. Bought it for all the good reviews I from what I see so far it's a keeper... Might want to go compare the two sometime.

Those Pacifica's even from the 90's are the most under rated guitars going.

• Members

Yeah, I picked up a pac112 in lake blue maybe a month ago. It's a cool guitar. I put a gfs roller tree on it and one of their trem blocks.

tuners are very good as is the fret work. Pickups are pretty good but I did swap out the neck pup. Thought maybe the string spacing was going to be an issue, but I actually really like the vintage spacing with the 12" radius.

They're worth a look, cheep too.

I'm still gassing for a fender classic 60's LPB strat though.

272860.jpg

they just look great.

Not sure about the 7.5 radius and the vintage frets though, I'd like to try one out before buying.

• Members

I have a CV50s strat

It's nice, but the pickups are a little higher output than I'd like. These pups are apparently made in the same factory as the Tonerider pickups. The CV50s is supposed to have pretty much same set as the Surfaris. The bottom end is really round and it doesn't sound that vintage. I'd say the pups are good but not vintage sounding if that's what you're going for.

If I have time I'll probably replace em with a set of A5 or A2 single coils from GFS or something. This is a great guitar, very light. Also people replace the bridge and trem sometimes but most people have found that it makes no difference.

Archived