Warmoth necks..

stratotak

• Members

I was looking at Warmoth's necks. Was looking for a Jackson style neck. After I added up the cost it was out of my price range..I cant see spending $450 for a bolt on neck with no hardware..

Jackson style neck w/rosewood fret board and 24 fret extension=$200

Shark inlays=$90

Neck binding=$110

Floyd Nut prep=$55

Looks like Ill have to get one of these from GFS for $50 .I can afford that..lol..

yhst-50206111187217_2093_2633187

• Members

That neck doesn't have a fretboard extension. One of these 2 necks, the Warmoth or the GFS, is not going to intonate on your guitar.

Does your current neck have the 24th fret on the end of the heel, or on an extension? If it has a heel like the neck above, you're in luck. :thu:

• Members

look closer, it does extend.

No, it doesn't. The heel stops right at the 24th fret.. The bodies it's designed for on GFS's site have no room for an overhang with the neck pickup right up against the neck pocket.

Warmoth's 24 fret extension is just that, the fretboard overhangs the heel for frets 22, 23, and 24, extending into the body.

• Members

Toshiro is 100% correct with respect to the Warmoth necks.

But regardless, I agree with the OP's issue with warmoth's pricing. They've raised their prices recently...and I thought their prices *before* the increase were bad.

I've stopped using them completely, when in the 90s, I used their products so much that I was effectively a warmoth endorser.

I know everyone needs to make a buck these days and american made guitar products are a rare breed....but the nickel and diming uptick options pricing they have is just, well....wrong. It shouldn't cost an extra 55 bucks for a floyd shelf. They put the neck on their cnc router, hit a few buttons and 7 seconds later, instant floyd shelf. If that's 55 bucks of labor, I'm mickey mouse.

• Members

Warmoth pretty much has a monopoly on well built custom guitar parts.There's no way to even compare a GFS neck with a Warmoth neck spec'd to the gills.I love GFS stuff and use they're pickups almost exclusively,but i highly doubt that neck is gonna be anywhere near as playable as the Warmoth out of the box,maybe after a level and crown,but now your talking about paying a tech almost $100 anyways.

Expensive and overpriced are 2 different things

• Members

I thought their price on a strat neck I recently ordered was pretty reasonable.

$250 to my door.

Compound radius,

SS frets

custom profile.. Great quality.

Your are right though, I would not pay +400 for a neck.

I've seen a few Dk2m necks on Ebay for a good bit less, and those are sweet necks.

• Members

Warmoth still does compound radius?

That's worth an extra $100 alone to me.

If you ever play a compound radius neck it will ruin you for other guitars.

Like having a one-night-stand with Jessica Alba...and then having to go back to the chicks at the local bars

• Members

Last one I bought from them for a Strat was $220 if I remember correctly, outa their showcase though. Luckily they had one with everything I wanted. Its a Pro with a Pau Ferro board, SS Frets and the Clapton profile.

• Members

That neck doesn't have a fretboard extension. One of these 2 necks, the Warmoth or the GFS, is not going to intonate on your guitar.

Does your current neck have the 24th fret on the end of the heel, or on an extension? If it has a heel like the neck above, you're in luck.
:thu:

That GFS neck should fit ..Its going on a Korean 90's Hamer Californian. Like this one..

hamerc02137.jpg

One my neck hough a couple years ago I was stripping the body and the neck fell of the desk and broke the 26th fret..And it would buzz.. I ended up cracking the it at he 25 fret by accident and just took the fret out and "broke" the rest off and sanded the end down smooth. Neck looks like this now

Picture007.jpg

Nothing wrong with the neck now..I just want to refinish the body again..And thought a Jackson style with binding and shark inlays would look cool on it..But not $450 cool..lol.

• Members

Toshiro is 100% correct with respect to the Warmoth necks.

But regardless, I agree with the OP's issue with warmoth's pricing. They've raised their prices recently...and I thought their prices *before* the increase were bad.

I've stopped using them completely, when in the 90s, I used their products so much that I was effectively a warmoth endorser.

I know everyone needs to make a buck these days and american made guitar products are a rare breed....but the nickel and diming uptick options pricing they have is just, well....wrong. It shouldn't cost an extra 55 bucks for a floyd shelf. They put the neck on their cnc router, hit a few buttons and 7 seconds later, instant floyd shelf. If that's 55 bucks of labor, I'm mickey mouse.

Just a note, the lock shelf isn't done on CNC, it's all cut and drilled manually in a mill, and it's done AFTER the frets are installed. Because of this, the peghead has to be cut to thickness differently, sanded differently... all of which takes more time and care in the process, setup and teardown time, etc... That's where your cost comes in. There are too many variables to accurately cut the lock shelf before the frets go in, and by that time, you can't mount the neck back up into the CNC because there's no way to hold it in the fixture.

Just an FYI...

• Members

That GFS neck should fit ..Its going on a Korean 90's Hamer Californian. Like this one..

hamerc02137.jpg
One my neck hough a couple years ago I was stripping the body and the neck fell of the desk and broke the 26th fret..And it would buzz.. I ended up cracking the it at he 25 fret by accident and just took the fret out and "broke" the rest off and sanded the end down smooth. Neck looks like this now

Picture007.jpg
Nothing wrong with the neck now..I just want to refinish the body again..And thought a Jackson style with binding and shark inlays would look cool on it..But not $450 cool..lol.

Yeah, the Warmoth neck wouldn't intonate on that guitar anyway. The 24 fret extension is designed for Fender style guitars, and that guitar in your pics has a different heel/pocket location.

Archived