I love when a mod makes you bond with a guitar you once hated...

pixelchemist

• Members

So i have this Epiphone Les Paul Studio that I always hated... there isn't anything wrong with it per-say its actually a really top notch example and I played a bunch of them when bought it and liked that one the best..

I knew when i bought it that it was nothing fancy and I was looking for a cheap LP style guitar at the time and it fit the bill. The stock pickups were horrendous. I just really never got along with them so they came out and I thought I wanted a guitar for the "brootalz" so i picked up a used EMG ZW set and wired it all up. Thought it was badass for a while chugging with it downtuned and lots of pinch harmonics etc... but again only really liked the neck pickup and the bridge just kinda sounded like nails on a chalkboard to me...

so i bought another 85... to run dual 85s... and i was happy with it and but still never played it.. it was my least favorite guitar in my collection..

so i really went to town on it getting it set up just right, perfect fretwork polished to complete mirror shine.. no buzz.. med-low action just how i like it... sanded down the back of the neck to take off the gloss and give it nice satin finish... but still it was my least favorite...

a few months ago... I installed Dimarzio Virtual PAF and Virtual Hot PAF pickups in it in a last attempt to try to bond with it before i got rid of it... and it did the trick... but i didnt have any push pull pots or dpdt switches around when i did it so they went in just plain jane two conductor style... but they sounded great and i was actually playing it regularly...

well today i rewired it completely with bournes push-pull pots and new switch and jack jimmy page style... and it was a bitch to install.. first wiring diagram was wrong and i redid it twice before giving up and finding another diagram (the gibson version of it) and now I am seriously all about this guitar... it's just speaking to me on a whole new level... absolutely loving it.

CLIFF NOTES: Jimmy Page Wiring + Virtual PAF = New Found Appreciation for once hated guitar

• Members

It doesn't sound like you hated the guitar, but rather hated the stock pickups. That's pretty common with me also. I have a Blizzard Pearl American Strat that sat in the case until I put a set of Duncan SSL-1 pickups in it. Now it's a tone machine.

Glad you found the right combination of wiring and pickups. :thu:

• Members

basically it allows you to do this...

Jimmy Page Switching Options

Selector Switch In Treble Position RV RT TV TT

A. 1. Treble Humbucker N O O O

2. Treble Tap (Screw Coil On) N O X O

3. Treble Tap (Slug Coil On) N O X X

Selector Switch In Middle Position

A. 4. Rhythm & Treble Humbucker Parallel In Phase O O O O

5. Rhythm & Treble Humbucker Parallel Out Phase O O O X

B. 6. Rhythm & Treble Humbucker Series In Phase O X O X

B. 7. Rhythm & Treble Humbucker Series Out Phase O X O O

8. Rhythm Humbucker - Treble Tap (Screw Coil On) Parallel In Phase O O X O

9. Rhythm Humbucker - Treble Tap (Slug Coil On) Parallel Out Phase O O X X

B. 10. Rhythm Humbucker - Treble Tap (Slug Coil On) Series In Phase O X X X

B. 11. Rhythm Humbucker - Treble Tap (Screw Coil On) Series Out Phase O X X O

12. Rhythm Tap (Slug Coil On) - Treble Humbucker Parallel In Phase X O O O

13. Rhythm Tap (Slug Coil On) - Treble Humbucker Parallel Out Phase X O O X

B. 14. Rhythm Tap (Screw Coil On) - Treble Humbucker Series In Phase X X O X

B. 15. Rhythm Tap (Screw Coil On) - Treble Humbucker Series Out Phase X X O O

16. Rhythm Tap (Slug Coil On) - Treble Tap (Screw Coil On) Parallel In Phase X O X O

17. Rhythm Tap (Slug Coil On) - Treble Tap (Slug Coil On) Parallel Out Phase X O X X

B. 18. Rhythm Tap (Screw Coil On) - Treble Tap (Slug Coil On) Series In Phase X X X X

B. 19. Rhythm Tap (Screw Coil On) - Treble Tap (Screw Coil On) Series Out Phase X X X O

Selector Switch In Rhythm Position

A. 20. Rhythm Humbucker O O N N

21. Rhythm Tap (Slug Coil On) X O N N

Notes

RV = Rhythm Volume Pot

RT = Rhythm Tone Pot

TV = Treble Volume Pot

TT = Treble Tone Pot

O = Denotes Push Pull Switch Down

X = Denotes Push Pull Switch Up

N = Denotes No Effect Up Or Down

A = Position funtions as Traditional Les Paul

B = For maximum output selector switch must be in middle position when rhythm tone push pull is up.

(Output decreases when selector is in the treble position. Guitar will shut off when selector is in

rhythm position.) Rhythm volume potentiometer will not shut off guitar but must be set at 10 for

maximum output. Treble volume potentiometer will funtion as master volume in this position.

Archived