Heavy Metal Strat???

axegrinder

• Members

Looking for some info on a guitar I saw locally. It looks like a HM Strat except it is a MIK Squier with a pointy headstock? Does anyone know the model name or what years they were produced?

It looked like this one except it didn't have the fancy paint and it was an HSS config.

squiermagma.jpg

• Members

I was just going to post about that same guitar except red. There is a used one at a local shop I could pickup for about 200, but I don't know much about these. I remember seeing them when they came out years ago, but not much else. Don't know if it would be worth the money.

• Members

I was just going to post about that same guitar except red. There is a used one at a local shop I could pickup for about 200, but I don't know much about these. I remember seeing them when they came out years ago, but not much else. Don't know if it would be worth the money.

there definitely worth the money, just slap some better pickups in and your ready to go. love the neck on mine, real fast!

• Members

Try it out. If you like playing it and sounds good to you, buy the {censored}ing thing! You a player or a collector? Woo hoo!!!

• Members

It's sitting in a crappy pawn shop...I think for $120. The missing control plate allowed me to see the plywood body. There was also a Washburn MG-24 for $65 that needs major TLC. But alas, I need another project guitar like I need a hole in my head...translation: If I bring home another project guitar I'll end up with a hole in my head. :o

• Members

When I was in HS, my closest friend bought one of those. It must have been 1989 or 1990. I'm leaning toward '89 though. Haven't seen one in years!

I recall he still had it when he went to college in 1992. Also, his was black crackle with red, white, and blue underneath if I remember correctly. (Maybe just red and white.)

• Members
It's sitting in a crappy pawn shop...I think for $120. The missing control plate allowed me to see the plywood body. There was also a Washburn MG-24 for $65 that needs major TLC. But alas, I need another project guitar like I need a hole in my head...translation: If I bring home another project guitar I'll end up with a hole in my head.
:o

Buy it and I will trade you a non modded squier 51 for it

• Members

I wasn't aware that this thread got bumped back up today. I did happen back in the pawn shop after lunch and I ended up making a deal.

Only the neck resembles the guitar in my original post. It's an HSS configuration with a nicely faded cream/white finish. The previous owner installed some sort of Seymour Duncan HB and a pushpull pot that I haven't figured out. The strings are dead and the frets/fretboard are grimey. But I think it will clean up nicely. The whammy bar is gone, but all the screws, fine tuners, and locking nut are intact. :cool:

I can snap some pics later if anyone cares. :idk:

• Members

Heavy Metal Strat???

The question has gone to make my mind go Californea.

God help the questioner - on this Earth there is no salvation for him.

:confused:

I didn't invent the HM Strat moniker. You'll have to discuss that with the folks at Fender. :)

I like traditional SSS strats, but I also enjoy what an HSS setup can do.

I also like how your baboon avatar matches with the sample pic in my 1st post. :lol:

• Members

Well I finally got a couple pics uploaded.

I haven't torn the thing apart yet because as my first guitar with a FR-type bridge, I want to make sure I do it right. I think I know what to do now, so I may be blocking the bridge and cutting the strings tonight.

After spending a little more time playing this through a decent amp, I think I have a winner. :thu:

IMG_3739.jpg

IMG_3740.jpg

• Members

so do you like the neck? i think they were better then any ibanez neck of that era.

It reminds me very much of my Squier II neck from the same era except for the bigger frets, large radius, rosewood, and tiltback pointy stock. Otherwise just the same. :lol:

Seriously though, until I get the thing setup with proper low action, polished frets and clean board, I can't make a FULL assessment. It does look promising.

Archived