Thinking ahead....what would you get next if you were me?

metal0822

• Members

Hey, I feel like I am pretty set on guitar stuff right now. But college graduation is coming up (December:facepalm:) and I wanna get something nice. As you can see in my sig I have a LP studio faded, a highway 1 strat, and a dsl 401. I dont plan on getting rid of either guitar. What would you get if you could get one nice piece to add to my setup? It could probably be a wide range of money but I was thinking 1000 would be the cut off. So what...

Tele?

PRS?

Hollow?

P90 something?

Fender or vox amp?

Sell and upgrade to one nice amp?

Just looking for something I might not have thought of, and I have a while to think about it. Seems PRS is getting an awful lot of attention here the past couple weeks and got me thinking. Anyhow, what would you get next?

• Members

I feel like amps make kind of lame gifts. But if you are cool with an amp. I say you need something to compliment the DSL. I have a DSL401 and wasn't a huge fan of the tone, I much prefer the 1974x...the DRRI is a good amp too and people have been raving about AC-15s and I have some major AC-15 gas.

We don't really know what music you play but I feel a good well-rounded setup will have Fender, Vox, Marshall, and then an array of guitars. The DRRI and the AC-15/AC-30 are exemplar pieces to get that Fender and voxy tone, respectively. As far as marshall goes it seems like the JCM800s may be the way to go but it may be too much power; thats why I like the 1974x.

• Members

Save your money. Trust me, you'll need it after graduation. You can always get yourself a "found a good job" present later.

I'm going to side with this. If you don't have a job offer by September/October you should probably hold off on getting a new toy. If it comes time to buy something, I'd probably upgrade your current amp.

• Members

There are THREE guitars that jump out at me for $1000, maybe less if you can get 10-20% off.

The Fender American Standard Telecaster is $999

I just bought one new with 20% off for $780 and it is a quality instrument.

The Fender American Standard Strat, but you have a Strat.

The Gibson SG Standard is now $1199, I am sure if you offer them $1000 you will get it.

I would say go for the Telecaster if you are more of a Fender guy, but if you are a rocker, the SG Standard is really nice.

• Members

The best, though least exciting, advice so far is to save your money. If you are happy with what you have, why spend needlessly?

Having said that, I get a lot more enjoyment out of amps these days than guitars. Depending on whether you want light and manageable or heavy and crazy loud, I'd look into getting a 5E3 Tweed Deluxe clone, an AC15 or AC15H1TV or a Silver Face Twin or a Twin II. Lately prices are pretty low for Silverface Twins, considering how much amp you get and with something like a Barber Direct Drive, you can go from great Blackface Fender cleans to pretty decent Marshall crunch and all of it is LOUD!

• Members

thanks for all the tips guys. seems like an amp might be where im headed, although an axe would be sweet :( ive been really interested in those ac15s as well. if i keep my marshall i would definately like to add a fender or vox though, ill have to look into all the different silverface models. my friend has a silver face vibro champ that made my jaw drop, he said oh yea i think we have an old crappy amp in the basement from when my dad used to play. came back with a silverface fender, go figure.

• Members

thanks for all the tips guys. seems like an amp might be where im headed, although an axe would be sweet
:(
ive been really interested in those ac15s as well. if i keep my marshall i would definately like to add a fender or vox though, ill have to look into all the different silverface models. my friend has a silver face vibro champ that made my jaw drop, he said oh yea i think we have an old crappy amp in the basement from when my dad used to play. came back with a silverface fender, go figure.

I hear ya man. I played through lowbrow's Silverface Champ the other day and was beyond impressed. I've never played through a Champ in a decent sized room (only in a couple shops) and being able to crank it, I was pretty much blown away, both plugged in straight and with an OD pedal. It even had a pretty decent bottom end.

Doc Morbius has a couple Silverface Twins and a TRRI. We did some comparisons. One KILLS for cleans, but that one sounds the least good with gain. But the other Silverface sounds KILLER with gain and damn good when clean. Not sure how much of that is just a difference in the amp (the good gain one has a Master Volume), how much is tubes and how much is the difference in speakers (the good clean one has Weber Californias which aren't supposed to be all that great with gain).

Still, LOTS of great tones all around.

• Members

Save your money. Trust me, you'll need it after graduation. You can always get yourself a "found a good job" present later.

A big-time +1 to this. Looking for a job in the middle of a recession? Save your $$$; you're gonna need it.

• Members

thanks again everyone. im finishing up my resume right now, and there is a job fair next wednesday. i think i am 1 of 2 kids graduating in my concentration in december and i should be getting a department award or two and graduating with honors. mix that with an explosive field in robotics/automation and tons of local connections through professors and i feel pretty good about getting something. the employment rate from my program the past few years is extremely high. i totally understand everyones concerns though, and i will definitely wait until i at least have something lined up.

cratz, which amp was good with gain, and which was good clean? i missed it if you said it. my friend is getting a silverface champ tomorrow and hes doing the trade deal (craigslist deal) at my place so i get to play it. maybe that will help me decide if thats what i wanna go for. and trri? :confused::facepalm:

• Members

100% This.

That's honestly very good advice right there but I'm going to have to disagree.

Do it now. Buy what you want and what you can now. Before you know it, life will start to tie you down and obligations will grow. {censored} it, just do it.

Remember what Lennon said (he was a long hair the OP may have never heard of)...

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans

Archived