Best projecting, loudest 4x12 cab?

curseoftruth

• Members

OK, I am on the hunt for a new cab for my Sunn Enforcer head. The heads sounds just awesome. Problem is through my Orange PPC412, it sounds kind of boxy and doesn't project well - i.e. muffled and not as loud as a vintage 100 watt Sunn tube head should be. My Orange RV100 head sounds great and loud through it. As a reference point, the PPC412 has Celeston V30s in it.

Now the other guitarist in my band has an old special edition Marshall slant cab (it's not a 1960A by designation) with purple tolex and Celeston V30s and the Sunn sounds more lively, less boxy, and somewhat louder through it. But I'll never find another cab like that. I'm taking the head with me to a used music store or two in the morning and going cab shopping. I don't care about brand, but I want volume and projection. They have a 70s Sunn cab I am going to try and they also have a some vintage Laney cabs I'm going to try.

Any other suggestions? I'm thinking a slant cab is maybe the way to go. I don't want to spend over $400 on the used market for a cab and considering that I know different cabs sound different with this amp, I need to try it first so if you have a recommendation, please make it something I am likely to be able to locate (not an Emporer or an Avatar or other custom job). One last note -- the original factory cabs that came with the Enforcer head in 1982 through 84 were loaded with Sunn model 126s. The cabs were 8ohm cabs which is another requirement.

If you want to see th eoriginal specs on the amp and cabs, this is the PDF of the Sunn brochure from 1984: http://sunn.ampage.org/site/brochures/1984/badversionofbrochure.pdf

• Members

Dude. Randall RA412XL. MF has them for $579 right now with free shipping. 3/4" birch plywood, slant cab, v30's. If you use code "BREAK" you save 15%. If you buy with a discover card, save another 10%, final cost ~ $435 delivered.

You will find an angled cab will project a wider sound pattern, both horizontally and vertically. really fills a room.

I have one, you can see my post here: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2594138

• Members

Well...the Vader is the one capable of handling the most power, so power being unlimited the Vader will be the loudest.

However, practically speaking, the loudest will likely be the one that is closest matched to your amp power-wise that you won't blow.

• Members

if you're going for pure volume, your best bet is to look for speakers with a high sensitivity. this equates to more volume for a given reference signal voltage.

All other things being equal, this will affect loudness more than any other thing.

• Members

Well...the Vader is the one capable of handling the most power, so power being unlimited the Vader will be the loudest.

However, practically speaking, the loudest will likely be the one that is closest matched to your amp power-wise that you won't blow.

No it won't. It will be the one with the most efficient speakers that are capable of handling as much power as his amp delivers. Efficiency is what will determine how loud it is.

• Members

No it won't. It will be the one with the most efficient speakers that are capable of handling as much power as his amp delivers. Efficiency is what will determine how loud it is.

Yes, you are right but I can't answer every question with a 2000 word essay covering every bit of every possibility. So my previous answer applies if the speakers are all of satisfactory quality.

The Vader takes 480 watts and are loaded with Eminence Legend speakers.

They are large cabinets with tight punchy bass, mellow mids and smooth highs.

Power Rating - 480 watts

Impedance - 8 ohms

Bandwidth - 80 Hz - 5 kHz

Plug into them, jack your amp and watch the ear rings fly out of the audience's ears and stick into the back wall of the auditorium.

• Members

In theory the most efficient speaker design should be the end of the story, but if you've been around the block a few times you know that is not the case. Cab design/construction (baffles, angles, even design and materials) really comes into play also. That is one of the reasons I'm looking at a slant cab over a standard square cab, they are more efficient in projecting than say my PPC412. Of course on smaller (1x12 or 2x12) you get into the open/closed back discussion. I need volume, so driving sound to my knees with a 2x12 is out of the question!

• Members

In theory the most efficient speaker design should be the end of the story, but if you've been around the block a few times you know that is not the case. Cab design/construction (baffles, angles, even design and materials) really comes into play also. That is one of the reasons I'm looking at a slant cab over a standard square cab, they are more efficient in projecting than say my PPC412. Of course on smaller (1x12 or 2x12) you get into the open/closed back discussion. I need volume, so driving sound to my knees with a 2x12 is out of the question!

One of the reasons that the Mesa 'halfback' cabs were so great...2 open back 12" on top and 2 closed back 12" on bottom.

• Members

Brian, I always wondered why you guys don't use full stacks?

Honest answer Mark, my ears can't handle it. I've tried it, just brutal. And we are plenty loud with half stacks. The doom fest we played the other night, we had 2 half stacks and most of the other bands were running full stacks and we still were the loudest band of the night! Most clubs in town hate us for our volume already lol

• Members

Honest answer Mark, my ears can't handle it. I've tried it, just brutal. And we are plenty loud with half stacks. The doom fest we played the other night, we had 2 half stacks and most of the other bands were running full stacks and we still were the loudest band of the night! Most clubs in town hate us for our volume already lol

Right on.

When I ran into the 6x12 alone, I played louder than I did with the 6x12 and 4x12 together. By getting speakers up around head range I could hear better and play with less volume to get the same effect. Not to mention the sound was fuller and thicker. The 4x12 on top was loaded with a very dark, and less efficient speaker, and it really balanced well.

• Members

stoner/doom on non emperor cabs is blasphemy!

$400 budget, if you can get me an Emperor for that price, I'll take it :poke:

I found a screaming deal after work on a Marshall 1960B with Greenbacks, I'm going to try it tomorrow, but those speakers won't do what I need. I also found a guy selling an Avatar Vintage Classic with 2x V30s/ 2x G12T75s at 8ohm, that might be the ticket.

• Members

I think you should snag that. IMO, that price is a steal.

I used to play through a pair of 15's. I liked them with a strat, but not as much with my LP's. But as we know, every rig has it's own personality and it might be great for you. I would certainly give it a try. But 150 for an original, untouched bassman cab is a good deal to me.

• Members

Brian you can't go wrong with a Jenkins JSS412. Best 412 I've heard and doesn't detract from a speaker's efficiency at all.

I have 3 Jenkins cabs now, JSS412, JSS212 and JSS112. Just awesome cabs that can be used open or closed back.

http://www.jenkinssoundshop.com/html/jss412.html

But like Mark said, that Fender at that price is like stealing candy from a baby.

• Members

That fender 2x15 is a cool cab - but highly doubt it would come close to keeping up with the orange cab you already don't think is enough

remember the speaker's max wattage rating too - a lower wattage speaker will break up sooner. V30s are actually 60 watt speakers - I wouldn't go less than that if you're looking for max spl. Speaker breakup may be desireable but it also introduces compression and you don't gain much volume at that point.

Another idea is to just get a stand for your orange cab. Bringing it a foot or two off the floor would make it much louder up close. I use a slanted 4x12 cab at practice and can barely hear it standing right in front of it. Have to kneel down and make sure it's working sometimes. (I need a couple milk crates to prop it up for me.)

Archived