A: exit

A: format c: /u

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
:idk:
mediocre guitar playing

yep. All of the white guy blues fanboys get a boner whenever Clapton praises someone.

He's a popular musician. He's not an amazing guitarist though :poke: His popularity far exceeds his guitar chops

Not a big blues or Clapton guy, he was just one well known musician who I knew had given Prince some pretty strong props and generally has a respected opinion. Those were some of the various solos of his I have enjoyed over the years, but part of it is not just "can he play 89 notes in 10 seconds" like the shred folks want to know, its the fact that he can play pretty much any style. Switching from chicken scratch rhythym to hendrix or Santana (listen to When Eye Lay My Hands On U's solo sometime) to whatever, he knows all the different styles. There are plenty of guys who can play fast, but are a one trick pony.

• Members
:idk:
mediocre guitar playing

yep. All of the white guy blues fanboys get a boner whenever Clapton praises someone.

He's a popular musician. He's not an amazing guitarist though :poke: His popularity far exceeds his guitar chops

Wow, I would just like to know who you consider an amazing or good guitarist then. Also last time I checked Prince was not that popular in guitar circles. Most people don't even know he can rip the guitar, or that he is a very competent pianist, drummer and bassist. He basically recorded all the parts on Morris Day and the Time's first record, even the backup vocals. I think what it boils down to is a matter of taste on your part. For instance if all a person listened to was metal they might think that Charlie Christian or Wes Montgomery were garbage guitarists.

• Members

Great display of talent you have there, but I still think Prince is technically as sound as any of those guitarist you posted, and his live act is extremely entertaining. Not only is he a good guitarist in my eyes, but he is also a pretty good writer too. A lot of people don't know he has written a lot of pop songs for other artists like "Manic Monday" by the Bangles and " I feel For you" by Chaka Khan.

• Members

highly
overrated

I think just misunderstood. Everyone seems to think of him as the driving force behind Metallica's guitar sound, even though that's never been the case and he's never claimed it was. As far as metal solos go, Kirk's might not be the most challenging, but I can remember at least five of 'em. I can't say the same for really any other metal guitarists.

So with that in mind, and given how many people think he blows, he's underrated if anything

• Members

Most people don't even know he can rip the guitar, or that he is a very competent pianist, drummer and bassist. He basically recorded all the parts on Morris Day and the Time's first record, even the backup vocals. I think what it boils down to is a matter of taste on your part. For instance if all a person listened to was metal they might think that Charlie Christian or Wes Montgomery were garbage guitarists.

Or as his former keyboard player Morris Hayes put it in an old interview w/Keyboard magazine once, (roughly): "Prince will have you trying to learn an extremely tough part and he wants you to play that solo while you are doing a dance step and singing. So when you say it can't be done he walks over, takes your instrument from you and does it. Then says to do it like that". He doesn't tend to pick slouches for his bands and any given night he might pick up a bass or sit down at a keyboard or the drums and play just as well as his other band members. *shrug* It's good to my ears.

• Members

Prince all the way.

He is a better guitar player than corgan and the jap dude in the band put together.

Plus, he's probably slapped some bitches around in his day...unlike corgan's pasty jessica simpson trial-in' ass.

Archived