underrated guitarist fight

Still.ill

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
How is Prince "underrated?" He's pretty much universally hailed as a badass.
:confused:

Prince has been referred to as one of the most underrated guitarists by Clapton several years ago. A lot of people know he plays lots of instruments, but lots of folks don't realize exactly how well he plays them all. A friend of mine who is a big metalhead wasn't aware of exactly how well Prince played until he saw the Rock n Roll HoF induction and saw Prince play the solo on While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Such a great solo, altho Just My Imagination from the Small Club boot is great too.

John Frusciante and Robert Quine too. Then again, Quine's playing on all the various Matthew Sweet albums is just great.

• Members

Prince has been referred to as one of the most underrated guitarists by
Clapton
several years ago. A lot of people know he plays lots of instruments, but lots of folks don't realize exactly how well he plays them all. A friend of mine who is a big metalhead wasn't aware of exactly how well Prince played until he saw the Rock n Roll HoF induction and saw Prince play the solo on While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Such a great solo, altho Just My Imagination from the Small Club boot is great too.

John Frusciante and Robert Quine too. Then again, Quine's playing on all the various Matthew Sweet albums is just great.

Also overrated.

You got any impressive clips of Prince playing the guitar?

• Members

Also overrated.

HoF "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" Prince plays the outro solo

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5990324021460950823

Prince covering The Temptations "Just My Imagination" from the Small Club bootleg. Lovesexy tour aftershow 1988

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hccIgxQT58

"Scandalous Sex Suite" The Rapture is the section w/the guitar track I'm thinking of. Super harmonized.

http://www.last.fm/music/Prince/Scandalous+Sex+Suite

Batdance. I've always loved this guitar solo

http://www.tagtele.com/videos/voir/39334

Rainbow Children, Everlasting Now, and Last December from "The Rainbow Children" album all have some pretty nice guitar work as well.

Live 4 Love from "Diamonds and Pearls"

Loose from "Come"

I Hate U from "Gold"

Joy in Repitition from "Grafitti Bridge"

Endorphinemachine from "Gold"

Yeah, I'm kind of a Prince fan heh. The ones I don't have links for I'm sure you can find on Last.fm

• Members

Also overrated.

Are you kidding? Prince is not only an amazing guitarist, but a superb all around musician:

Here he is Rocking out at 50+

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

A Prince Original off his last Album, "Colonized mind"

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

This kind of proves my point. Props from Clapton would qualify as a pretty high rating to most people.

I've only ever seen the props from Clapton in an old documentary done about Prince in the mid-90s. So not exactly widespread. Another musician being aware of a great musician is no surprise. The general public is another story.

EDIT:Also, I have to give some props to Deaner. Bungle and Ween are both genre jumpers, but I have to give the nod to Dean, esp since I've seen Ween live and they completely kill :)

• Members

yep. All of the white guy blues fanboys get a boner whenever Clapton praises someone.

You've apparently missed the point. It has nothing to do with your opinion of Clapton's playing. He's a high-profile musician who praised Prince's playing, just like everyone else does. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Prince's playing, famous or otherwise.

Archived