Guys who change guitars after every song

Toto99

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I remember seeing Robert Cray rotate through a whole herd of Strats for virtually every song ... and his tech was at side-stage tuning each guitar up as it came back. Result: Robert had a freshly-tuned guitar for each and every number.

And don't get me started on the Stones ...

Mind you, in the Scorsese concert film, Keef's trading off between standard tuning (for which he generally uses ES355s) and open-G (for which he uses Teles), plus the odd acoustic -- and Woody needed his electric sitar for Paint It Black, a lapsteel for No Expectations and gawdnose what else ...

• Members

Jeff Tweedy of Wilco does quite a bit of guitar swapping througout a show, teles, sg, jazzmaster, acoustics...just saw them in Miami Beach and it didn't bother me a bit.

Yeah and thats {censored}ing badass!

If it's some Joe Six Pack playing AC/DC covers in a bar with 20 different guitars, I agree with the topic at hand, but if its Jeff Tweedy or Thom Yorke rockin' out, I say power to 'em.

If I was a multimillionaire rock star I'd switch my guitar halfway through every song if I felt like it - who cares? Even if it was just to show off my collection.

• Members

It depends on your attitude I suppose. I personally think it's more "rock n roll" to keep the same battered Strat on stage for the whole set. It gives that one guitar more significance and in some cases, gives it an iconic status. BB King's "Lucille" and SRV's brown/black strat spring to mind.

• Members

I switch between a Strat and an SG for an obvious tonal difference, for occasional tuning differences, and because my SG handles tapping a lot better. It just throws off the mix of a lot of our originals for me to use the Strat where I play the SG and vice versa (I've tried).

I imagine a lot of people swap constantly to get fresh tuning, but there are some (like myself) who do so for a good reason.

• Members

I've used as many as 9 or 10 guitars in a 3 hour gig.

I bought 'em, I'll use 'em.

Live music can be visual entertainment also.

I did wear the same pants through the whole show.

Switch it up a little. Next gig, I want you to play ONE guitar, but change your pants 9 or 10 times. Do it on stage if you're feeling saucy. You want to generate some buzzz for your band? That just might do it.

• Members

I actually don't care one way or the other. I'll be seeing Wilco tonight and between Jeff Tweedy and Nels Cline expect to see at least 35 guitar changes.

But on the flip side last time I saw Cake I was quite surprised to see that the guitarist had one guitar on stage, a 3 PUP Gibson LP (w/ Bigsby), which he used for the entire set.

• Members

I actually don't care one way or the other. I'll be seeing Wilco tonight and between Jeff Tweedy and Nels Cline expect to see at least 35 guitar changes.

Last time I saw Wilco, Jeff changed guitars every song. Pretty nice if you like seeing a lot of classic SG's. Nils, on the other hand did the whole 3 hour concert with three guitars and one lap steel.

Elvis Costello changes it up a lot too, but he has a lot of variety in his guitar tone. You can tell that Elvis does the guitar changes as quickly as possible to keep the music going.

• Members

At the O2 show back in Feb, Messrs Clapton & Beck both had spare guitars sidestage, but they were identical copies (three backups apiece!), presumably present in case of string breakage or radical involuntary detuning. The only axe changes per se were when EC did his first few numbers on his Martin acoustic, and JB played the first song of their jam on a Tele tuned to open E.

• Members

I always get jealous of those guys. I probably wouldnt use any more than two guitars during a set. Ideally it would be one guitar.

I think Mike Mcready from Pearl Jam might be the best at this, always changing guitars. John Mayer is guilty as well.

• Members

I do get a little self conscious changing guitars, but there's usually a reason. I'm playing bass in my current band and I prefer a Precision or Jazz on flats for most things, but some things need the punch of an active bass with rounds. Other tunes need a 5 string, and some songs sound extra badass with an 8-string. I usually try to keep it to no more than 3-4 basses (plus a spare kept in it's case) at gigs, so I don't look like a goober. If I could play the whole gig on one bass, I probably would.

• Members

Don't even get me started on ridiculous walls of amps. Here's a photo of Slayer's live setup. This is the backline for a guitarist (Kerry King) who doesn't even know how to play guitar!!! He thinks sloppy chromatic scales and divebombing the whammy in the wrong key = solo.

171861-marshallstack_slayerss_slide.jpg

• Members

After going to see Mark Knopfler a couple of years ago, I have to say that if I had a (guitar) rack like that, I'd take every opportunity to show it off and rub it in everybody's face, too. :poke:

gonna see him in May...woot! He can use as many guitars as he wants.

• Members

I personally love my Les Paul and my Strat and that's it. I really connect with those two guitars. But I always liked watching Jimmy Vivino from the Max Weinberg 7 use a different, SWEET, vintage or custom guitar every night. He's a killer player so he can do what wants.

• Members

gonna see him in May...woot! He can use as many guitars as he wants.

Lucky. I just realized I haven't gotten tickets yet... and naturally, the only way I'm gonna see him this tour is if I drive 2+ hours to Connecticut to get a {censored}ty seat.

And he's a great example of someone who switches guitars because the other one simply won't cut it. He can't play Brothers in Arms or Song for Sonny Liston on a Strat. He just can't.

• Members

Lucky. I just realized I haven't gotten tickets yet... and naturally, the only way I'm gonna see him this tour is if I drive 2+ hours to Connecticut to get a {censored}ty seat.

And he's a great example of someone who switches guitars because the other one simply won't cut it. He can't play Brothers in Arms or Song for Sonny Liston on a Strat. He just can't.

Totally agree.

I bought my tix early (for a lot of money), and I'm literally in the last row, upper level. That's OK though, cause it's a small theatre. We could have gotten a couple rows down, but I wanted to snag the aisle seats for easy beer runs...

• Members

If I could hire a guy to care for my guitars and just hand me a new one after every song, I would never have to tune my own guitar again. I know it takes a couple of seconds with a good stage tuner but if it's a choice between that and switching guitars (which also takes just a couple of seconds) I'd pick the second one. And if you have 2 trailers packed with stuff, why not add 5 extra guitars and switch around a bit more?

As for Yngwie changing between identical guitars, isn't that also so that he doesn't have to tune inbetween songs? I always thought that was the main reason anyway...

Don't even get me started on ridiculous walls of amps. Here's a photo of Slayer's live setup. This is the backline for a guitarist (Kerry King) who doesn't even know how to play guitar!!! He thinks sloppy chromatic scales and divebombing the whammy in the wrong key = solo.

171861-marshallstack_slayerss_slide.jpg

Yeah, but he's got all of these turned to 11!

Archived