Best Multi-effects pedalboard/processor?

ILikeGuitar

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You should check out t.c. electronics Nova System too. I don't own one, but sure would like to replace my Boss GT-8 with it.

Had the Boss GT-8 and now have the Nova System. The NS blows away the Boss!

I only use it for the effects in a loop, not the saturation. My amp covers that nicely.

• Members

Hmm I actually don't think I have an amp with an effects loop option, would it be much better to have an amp with that when using these things? I'm sort of an effects noob sorry

MFX can go all in front of your amp or into the power amp only if you have an external input to that stage. There are pros and cons for both.

IMO 4 cable just gives you a bit more flexibility . You place your preamp and effects in the right order or choose an amp sim and just use your amp power stages.

If you are not sure, check around the amp. Effects loops are two adjacent sockets usually labelled effects in and out.

• Members

Digitech GSP1101!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have one. Have for about a year. I LOVE it. You can do the four cable method, but I don't. I have it in a rack (making use of the amp models into a tube stereo Peavey power amp and into an Avatar 212). I did a lot of shopping around before purchasing, and now that I've had almost a year w it just don't know how anything else can compete. Didn't take me but a few minutes to formulate that opinion :D

Want Hendrix? Vibe effects, octave effects, FUZZ + OCTAVE EFFECTS, wah, and more.

Want Gilmour? At least 3 good phasers, at least 4 delays (stereo rocks)

• Members

I use a GNX3000 for home/recording, but live I dont want modelling, cab modelling etc etc, so I use an ME50 in manual mode, which gives me a tuner, a lead/gain boost on pedal 1, a modulation effect on 2, delay with tap tempo on 3, and a wah on the expression pedal.

Works perfect for me, and replaced an unreliable pedal board.

:thu:

• Members

I have a VG-99, and of course if you are going to use a GK pickup guitar, it is more than an effects processor, it is a dream machine. That said, I will say from experience that the Boss GT-10 is THE BEST all in one processor I have ever used. It sounds so much better than the GT-8 or previous BOSS GT's that it really is worth the upgrade. The key to ALL Boss and Roland products is to start from absolute SCRATCH with patches, and whatever you do- TURN OFF THE NOISE SUPRESSORS!!!!!! They introduce all kinds of artifacts in their attempt to clean up "noise" They work GREAT if you NEED them, but start with them OFF. Usually there are two or more of them- Global and per patch. IMO the GT-10 sounds BETTER than the VG-99 as a straight ahead effects processor for regular guitar- the VG-99 has the GT-Pro engine, which is one generation behind the GT-10. Even the COSM models are much improved in the GT-10. Of course, YMMV.

• Members

I have a Boss GT-10 that I like a lot.

I have a GT-10 and I love it!

Part of my success of getting a good "tone" with it is that I am using an amp that will not add any color to the tweaks of the processor... I have a Tech21 Power Engine... What I want to get from the GT-10, I get...

And I think that rule would apply to any multi-pedal effect if you are looking to get overdriven tones from the pedalboard.... if you just want the effects (delay, reverb, etc) while using the tone of your current amp, 4 cable method and a any multi-effect will do the trick!

Good Luck! :wave:

Omar :thu:

• Members

I like most of what the ME 50 has, analog delay, tuner, compressor, "fat" setting on the tone mod, the noise reduction works very well even for my noisy real tube, driver down line. The volume pedal works well, I like the way it's like a bunch of stomps yet you can make patches.Very easy to use. I added a home made switches to scroll through the patches or turn on/off the compressor and tone modify. They should have just made the unit longer and had them built in.

• Members

Another vote for the RP1000 or GSP1101.

I have the GSP (it replaced a TC G-Major) and find it has the best sounding fx and is the easiest to use.

You don't have to run it into a guitar amp either. You can use the amp models and cab sims and run direct to PA or recording software.

• Members

I've heard really good things about the Roland VG-99. a little expensive at $1,400 though.

ROLAND+VG+99.JPG

The VG99 is much more than an effects processor. It does have the effects from the top of the line Boss GT Pro, but also has guitar modeling like a Variax, amp,pickup, and mic modeling, a guitar synth, synch to video, usb computer interface, and more. All this technology is the reason it is so much more expensive than a typical guitar multi fx box. As mentioned, it does require a Roland GK pickup and 13 pin cable to get the full use out of it, although you can plug any guitar into it with a 1/4 inch cable and use just it's effects section. I got mine used from someone who was asking $900 for it and we wound up doing a trade for a guitar of mine. It's an amazing piece of gear, but way more than it sounds like you are looking for.

• Members

Another vote for the RP1000 or GSP1101.

I have the GSP (it replaced a TC G-Major) and find it has the best sounding fx and is the easiest to use.

You don't have to run it into a guitar amp either. You can use the amp models and cab sims and run direct to PA or recording software.

And that sparks my interest for sure. Not to mention it sounds great too (good ol' youtube)

{censored}... My shopping list never gets smaller for some reason....

Are those two units exactly the same just in a different package?

I see the GSP unit can use a digitech controller.

• Members

And that sparks my interest for sure. Not to mention it sounds great too (good ol' youtube)

{censored}... My shopping list never gets smaller for some reason....

Are those two units exactly the same just in a different package?

I see the GSP unit can use a digitech controller.

The GSP has dual chips in it for more processing power and you can have delays and reverb tails continue after you have switched to another patch. Other than that, they are basically the same unit.

You can use any MIDI controller with the GSP. I use a Ground Control Pro. I was gonna go with the Digitech controller but since it will only work with the GSP, I decided to get something that would work with any processor in case something better comes along someday.

• Members

My general philosophy on effects is to determine what effects I really use the most and then just buy single units of those. So at the moment, I have a delay pedal I love and a distortion pedal I love and some extras that I'm not super attached to, but are handy for staying in tune and practicing.

But your basic pedalboard just for Hendrix/Gilmour sounds is easily 6-8 pedals (compressor/OD/fuzz/phaser/vibe/flange/echo/wah), so multi-fx are the way to go if you don't want to spend a grand on pedals (plus the cost of cables and power supplies and all that jazz). I'm probably most intrigued by the Nova System; digital time-based effects, analog drive. Can't really go wrong with that. Likewise, a friend of mine has a Boss GT-3 (which has analog drive) and his tone is quite nice.

• Members

The GSP has dual chips in it for more processing power and you can have delays and reverb tails continue after you have switched to another patch. Other than that, they are basically the same unit.

You can use any MIDI controller with the GSP. I use a Ground Control Pro. I was gonna go with the Digitech controller but since it will only work with the GSP, I decided to get something that would work with any processor in case something better comes along someday.

That is sweet. You didn't have any problems with integrating the two then?

Can the GSP send midi too or just turn the code into sound?

Sounds like a really slick unit. :cool:

• Members

That is sweet. You didn't have any problems with integrating the two then?

Can the GSP send midi too or just turn the code into sound?

Sounds like a really slick unit.
:cool:

MIDI just operates the program change basically. Any MIDI foot controller will operate the GSP.

The sound is sent through normal 1/4" jacks and/or XLR outputs.

Archived