I spent 6.5 hours yesterday setting up a kahler

3leggeddog

• Members

Although my new guitar plays wonderfully now (wasn't bad from the factory, but needed tweaking) I can honestly say that I hope to never have this experience again. Maybe it would go quicker next time...but there wont be a next time. I'll pay money for it to be done. (Part of the trouble was my own fault...I spend 3 of those hours trying to diagnose some fret buzz by adjusting the truss rod, the saddle height, etc., when it ended up being that I just had on too light of a string gauge). I must say though, that although a Floyd may be marginally easier to set-up, nothing plays like a well set-up Kahler. This is how I always imagined a trem should feel...was always dissapointed by the feel of Floyds.

• Members

I hear you...as far as extreme dive bombs, etc. go Floyd will out-do the Kahler. But I'm not a huge dive-bomber. I just use the trem to add a little, well, "tremolo" now and then. For that, I love how much smoother the Kahler is. It seems to be staying in tune just fine, even when I do go a little crazy. It seems like the sustain and tone are better in this Kahler equipped guitar than Floyds I've had in the past, but that could in part be the pickup too...

• Members

6 hours setting up a guitar, 3 hours on the kahler :p

but yeah, i remmber the first time i set up my floyd way back when. 2 hours of restringing it took because i was dumb and went up a string gauge, and barely had any id aof what i was doing. These days it only takes me 30 minutes tops.

And yes, i agree, kahlers do feel like a trem should, leaving floyds with something to be desired.

Archived