Modern Rock Distortion Pedal

KevinTJH

• Members

To add to my tiny collection of pedals, I'm looking for a distortion pedal which gives me the sound of modern rock, the kind of sound you hear on rhythm guitars especially. The kind of sound I'm looking for is probably similar to those contemporary bands such as Linkin Park, Incubus, Green Day, Three Days Grace, Red etc...

I'm really considering the Boss DS-1 pedal, but Digitech has one which is apparently just as good.

There're too many out there, can anyone help me shop for the BEST? Thanks in advance

I really love my Marshall amp distortion but it's a lot more convenient to swift back and forth with a pedal.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like to combine a distortion pedal and a overdrive. It all depends on the volumes though.

If I'm loud, I rely on the amps distortion, Rivera 55r.

If I'm not not loud, I'll use a Keeley DS-1, and if I want to go over the top I will also click on a AnolugeMans Dod 250 clone.

http://www.buyanalogman.com/category_s/70.htm

(Vai was using analogman's DS-1 before he got his ibanez pedal fyi.)

Same kind of idea behind Vai's jemini pedal, rumored to be at least (and not that that pedal get good reviews either) a Ds-1 and Tube Screamer sitting side by side. Gives you some and then click the second and you get a bunch more. Also pretty different flavors between the two on their own.

Humbucker for sure in the bridge position.

This by the way, eliminates the need for an attenuator too, generally.

Volume control on the first pedal can be way down and the second pedal can be set to scream and your output volume can still be very low. Nice for late night practice.

• Members

If cost isn't a problem and you love the sound of your Marshall, then the Radial Plexitube is an awesome choice. I keep the gain at the 9 o'clock position and I have more than enough distortion on tap. It also has 2 modes, so you can have both a classic rock-type distortion plus a balls-out, rip-your-head-off-and-piss-down-the-hole saturation.

It sounds so much like my Marshall DSL100 it's scary.

3042-1-big.jpg

• Members

If cost isn't a problem and you love the sound of your Marshall, then the Radial Plexitube is an awesome choice. I keep the gain at the 9 o'clock position and I have more than enough distortion on tap. It also has 2 modes, so you can have both a classic rock-type distortion plus a balls-out, rip-your-head-off-and-piss-down-the-hole saturation.

It sounds so much like my Marshall DSL100 it's scary.

3042-1-big.jpg

Whoa, a pedal with a valve. That looks like a really awesome pedal but I think it's a little bit too bulky for me. I wanna fit it into my Boss BCB-60 pedal board so I think I should be looking at analog pedals.

• Members

The VisualSound Jekyll & Hyde would probably do what you want, but it might not work out if you absolutely want to use that BCB-60 board. I'm a big fan of the old ART Xtreme (NOT the Plus version) or Korg HyperDistortion 104ds, but both have been discontinued for years and can be tough to track down. Great EQs on both though, and very versatile. The ART has three channels with shared EQ, while the Korg has two channels with programmable save slots for each.

• Members

The Boss DS-1 is an awful pedal, unless of course you actually want to sound like a small solid state practice amp. If you plan on stepping on your pedal a lot, spending a bit more is well worth it in the long run.

Hey, actually..if I'm being really honest with myself, I'm wasn't very impressed when I played around with my friend's Boss DS-1 (made in Taiwan). However, there're so many websites which nominate the DS-1 as the best distortion pedal for contemporary rock. I have no idea why.

There're also way too many factors involved, if a pedal sounded good through an amp in my local music store, it could sound like trash when I plug it in to my Marshall?

So assuming I won't be applying the "try before you buy" concept, what would be a GREAT and safe analog pedal to purchase online?

• Members
The Boss DS-1 is an awful pedal, unless of course you actually want to sound like a small solid state practice amp. If you plan on stepping on your pedal a lot, spending a bit more is well worth it in the long run.

lol, between that one and the Crybaby, some popular sugegstions are so :evil: indeed. Recommending an overdrive when someone asks for distortion is pretty lame too.

• Members

lol, between that one and the Crybaby, some popular sugegstions are so
:evil:
indeed. Recommending an overdrive when someone asks for distortion is pretty lame too.

What's wrong with a cry baby? I'd suggest that for anyone looking for a wah... :poke:

The DS-1 however... :facepalm:

Why don't you just get a pedal for your marshall KevinTJH? I think their onboard overdrive sounds better than most crappy little distortion pedals.

• Members

What's wrong with a cry baby? I'd suggest that for anyone looking for a wah... :poke:

The DS-1 however...
:facepalm:

Why don't you just get a pedal for your marshall KevinTJH? I think those sound better than most crappy little distortion pedals.

I've been more satisfied by pedal distortion than tube amps very often. With Radial, Vox, EHX and now "Suhr", you get a super cool new channel with just a stompbox. There's a big difference between a Boss and a Satchurator.

At least tell them to get the Vox, it still has that volume drop but the sound is slightly meatier. I modded mine quite a lot for 5$. Just the fact that they use "artists using the Crybaby (oh by the way rack wah or modded floor pedal)" thing to sell cheap pedals pisses me off. I had one when I was 17 and I thought it sucked balls.

- Hey, how come Slash's wah is actually heard with any kind of distortion???

ooooh, it's 500$, not 70$, ooooog I see

Dunglop can suck it

• Members

At least tell them to get the Vox, it still has that volume drop but the sound is slightly meatier. I modded mine quite a lot for 5$. Just the fact that they use "artists using the Crybaby (oh by the way rack wah or modded floor pedal)" thing to sell cheap pedals pisses me off. I had one when I was 17 and I thought it sucked balls.

Well, the cry baby works for me. Mostly because it's a wah - it does what it's supposed to do. That frees me to focus on my actual guitar playing and not the nit picky tone. What's funny is that I got mine back when I was in early high school (that's what, 15 I think?). Back then, I thought it sucked balls and didn't touch it for years. Now I'm back to it, way better and now I can work with it and get what I want out of it.

• Members

But back to the OP, if he's not willing to spend more than two hundo on a distortion pedal I think he should just get a channel pedal and use the onboard stchuff (I think we're in agreeance here)

Back then, I thought it sucked balls and didn't touch it for years. Now I'm back to it, way better and now I can work with it and get what I want out of it.

Under 200$ : Radial, Tube King, Suhr, Tech 21 (it works in an amp too), used Vox Satchurator or Jemini, etc...

I've heard JCM900, TSL, Jubilee and my own 6100 at good volumes and the only one I really liked was my friend's Jubilee. Sure, I like the recorded tones these amps give, but live, meh. Satch used the same 6100 as me for years using a distortion pedal into the clean channel, I'm not the only crazy one. I did love my amp's recorded tones. Plus, pedals are much more tweakable unless you have a Mesa Mark. There are many amps I'd like to have eventually, but unless you're playing super loud all the time, I'd rather have pedals.

In any case, I like things people don't always like, so the opposite is totally fine. I had a Digitech XP100, Crybaby and George Dennis and I didn't like any of them, mostly because they sounded too thin and faded with distortion. The stock Vox is like that too. Do you play lighter or more vintage stuff? I don't find it usable in many situations, but it seems to work for you. People say it breaks down a lot though. :facepalm:

• Members

I've been more satisfied by pedal distortion than tube amps very often. With Radial, Vox, EHX and now "Suhr", you get a super cool new channel with just a stompbox. There's a big difference between a Boss and a Satchurator.

- Hey, how come Slash's wah is actually heard with any kind of distortion???

ooooh, it's 500$, not 70$, ooooog I see

Dunglop can suck it

:rolleyes:

I think you have no idea what you are talking about and are full of BS. ymmv.

• Members

Yeah, this pedal confuses me. I've had 2 or 3, and was always surprised to hear how popular they are with guys like Satriani.

They must sound great at stage volumes. Only explanation I can think of.

• Members

I've heard good things about the Barber Dirty Bomb.

Tried it. Sold it. Sounded ok at home, but really dark and lackluster live at higher volumes. Just my experience. I wanted to love it as everyone raves about Barber stuff........

Archived