How would I use the XLR output on my 6505 combo

gh0st

• Members

I don't have much experience with that amp but I believe that is a output that you can run to a PA mixer to give you a simulated speaker and cab.

You can run that to an audio interface that has XLR in to your computer and should be able to monitor with headphones.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

....just read the speaker KEEPS PLAYING when using the XLR. What the {censored} I do not want that!!!

The only way to do that would be to attach a dummy load (attenuator at 100%) to the speaker out. Otherwise you'll blow the amp.

You are probably better off running direct and using some nice modeling software instead of trying to use the amp that way anyhow. Those pre outs usually sound pretty bad unless you run it through a modeler anyway. And the preamp overdrive you dial in through the amp won't sound anything like it does through the speaker when you use the direct out anyway.

You really need a lower wattage amp if you want to drive an amp at a lower volume at home. 60 watts is huge for home use.

• Members

The only way to do that would be to attach a dummy load (attenuator at 100%) to the speaker out. Otherwise you'll blow the amp.

You are probably better off running direct and using some nice modeling software instead of trying to use the amp that way anyhow. Those pre outs usually sound pretty bad unless you run it through a modeler anyway. And the preamp overdrive you dial in through the amp won't sound anything like it does through the speaker when you use the direct out anyway.

You really need a lower wattage amp if you want to drive an amp at a lower volume at home. 60 watts is huge for home use.

That's the dumbest design I've ever heard of. What is the point of the simulated mic output then :facepalm:

I'm not going to even open this thing, back to MF it goes.

• Members

My 100w JCM 2000 TSL 2x12 combo has a mute switch and that XLR simulated line out jack. It's plugged into my pa board and that is plugged into a headphone amp and also connected to my Macbook Pro.

My problem is that all the channels are married when they get recorded. I don't have a multiple channel program but I've read that Garageband can recognize 3 different usb mics. and assign them separate channels.

• Members

That's the dumbest design I've ever heard of. What is the point of the simulated mic output then
:facepalm:

Well it could be very useful if it sounds decent and you want to do some processing or stereo sounds live. :idk:

Not ideal if you want a direct out and no speakers running though. For that you could get a weber attenuator. They have a direct out for that purpose but I doubt it sounds that great.

• Members

Well it could be very useful if it sounds decent and you want to do some processing or stereo sounds live.
:idk:

Not ideal if you want a direct out and no speakers running though. For that you could get a weber attenuator. They have a direct out for that purpose but I doubt it sounds that great.

I'm going to look at the Peavey Vypyr, I think they let you do direct out via USB to the computer :thu:

I just need something I can plug in and play quietly instead of annoying the wife.

• Members

I'm going to look at the Peavey Vypyr, I think they let you do direct out via USB to the computer
:thu:

I just need something I can plug in and play quietly instead of annoying the wife.

I'd skip the amp with direct out thing entirely and get something meant for modeling like a POD.

• Members

That's the dumbest design I've ever heard of. What is the point of the simulated mic output then
:facepalm:

Welcome to tube amps. You HAVE to have a load connected to a tube power amp at all times or it'll burn out fast. The XLR is a (near pointless) added feature that allows you to drive the PA with an extra mic, though it probably won't sound as good as miking the speaker, but it's there if you need sound reinforcement.

There are recording amps that either have a dummy load built in (usually low powered amps feature this) or they just flat out shut off the power amp completely and run the Recording Out straight out from the preamp.

• Members

This is getting frustrating.

I figured I'd use the interface and get some sort of modeling software. I tried both the Guitar Rig and Amplitube demos, neither of them will take the input or give me any sort of output.

here is what i want to do:

1. Plug my guitar in to interface

2. Have modeling software do its job

3. Sound is output through my speakers

I'm just going to return it. I spent three straight hours last night trying to get apps to use the input and none work.

• Members

This is getting frustrating.

I figured I'd use the interface and get some sort of modeling software. I tried both the Guitar Rig and Amplitube demos, neither of them will take the input or give me any sort of output.

here is what i want to do:

1. Plug my guitar in to interface

2. Have modeling software do its job

3. Sound is output through my speakers

I'm just going to return it. I spent three straight hours last night trying to get apps to use the input and none work.

Those steps do work, and I play thru my computer all the time using Guitar Rig and Amplitube going direct into my interface. Seems the problem is most likely the I/O routing.

The basic questions, did you setup the audio I/O in both the programs to use the M-Audio interface correctly?

Are you using the stand alone Guitar Rig and Amplitube applications or using them in a DAW such as Sonar, Logic, or Cubase as VST

plugins.

Which M-audio Interface did you purchase?

• Members

Those steps do work, and I play thru my computer all the time using Guitar Rig and Amplitube going direct into my interface. Seems the problem is most likely the I/O routing.

The basic questions, did you setup the audio I/O in both the programs to use the M-Audio interface correctly?

Are you using the stand alone Guitar Rig and Amplitube applications or using them in a DAW such as Sonar, Logic, or Cubase as VST

plugins.

Which M-audio Interface did you purchase?

With both programs I set the M-Audio Line In as my input source.

Yep, I was using stand-alone versions, just wanting them to use the M-Audio Line In as the input source and output sound through my speakers, it won't do this.

It is the M-Audio Fast Track.

My friend has another interface device and he has the same exact problem with both programs.

In Amplitube, all I get is a buzzing noise, but it will play through my speakers. Hitting the guitar strings does nothing though, just a constant buzzing.

In Guitar Rig, the program seems to accept my input as I see the levels go up and down when I hit the strings, but no sound is output from the program to my speakers and there is no option to fix this. The "tape recorder" option also does nothing when I hit the record button.

• Members

Yep, I was using stand-alone versions, just wanting them to use the M-Audio Line In as the input source and output sound through my speakers, it won't do this.

You are correct, it will NOT do this. You must use the audio outputs of the fast track and set the output as such in both programs. The fast track acts as an out board sound card. Trying to use your PC's onboard sound card would be a huge waste and would generate rather dismal results with latency.

Your are attempting to use 2 sound devices for a single application, most application will not allow this.

Is there a reason you cannot attach your computer speakers to the M-Audio outputs? I personally use my interface as my main sound card for everything (gaming, video's, general purpose, everything). I don't use the onboard.

• Members

XLR is for direct feeding the mixer in the studio or live sound reinforcement, it won't allow you to silence your amp as you discovered.

My suggestion is to get a modeling processor or something like that to record direct through your M-Audio box if volume is an issue.

• Members

You are correct, it will NOT do this. You must use the audio outputs of the fast track and set the output as such in both programs. The fast track acts as an out board sound card. Trying to use your PC's onboard sound card would be a huge waste and would generate rather dismal results with latency.

Your are attempting to use 2 sound devices for a single application, most application will not allow this.

Is there a reason you cannot attach your computer speakers to the M-Audio outputs? I personally use my interface as my main sound card for everything (gaming, video's, general purpose, everything). I don't use the onboard.

+1

This is common. The interface IS a soundcard. And it really doesn't want to share the responsibility with other soundcards, it wants to do IN and OUT, and it works best that way. Now, I've successfully split duties between internal soundcard and interface in the past, and I'm sure others have. often it's program dependent, sometimes driver, but it often seems to add problems from time to time as well.

• Members

Ok. Well I purchased an adapter so I can put my 1/8" headphone jack in to the 1/4" jack on the M-Audio device so that maybe I can get output. I wanted to listen with my headphones anyways. Hopefully I can get the applications to actually accept input today.

• Members

Ok. Well I purchased an adapter so I can put my 1/8" headphone jack in to the 1/4" jack on the M-Audio device so that maybe I can get output. I wanted to listen with my headphones anyways. Hopefully I can get the applications to actually accept input today.

Not sure what version your device uses but make sure the routing is correct in the m-audio drivers as well. My m-audio device's driver is like a mixer. You need to make sure the drivers and the programs are routing the sound to same ins and outs.

• Members

Still not working. Amplitube just gives me a faint hissing noise, the kind of noise you get when you blast your amp with nothing plugged in to the input.

Waiting for guitar rig demo to redownload...

Archived