Looking For a Guitar with Tremolo for Hard Rock, etc.

• Members

What would you guys reccomend? I need a humbucker in the bridge for the aggressive hard rock sound (ala Alice in Chains) and the rest can be single coils...looking for something with a tremolo system and versatility (I play stuff like Pink Floyd and jazz fusion as well). I already own a Les Paul, so looking for a little different axe. I'd like to keep the price at or below $1100 if possible.

• Members

You got your work cut out! There's hundreds, if not thousands out there. You got ESP (practically everything) Ibanez (again, practically everything!) Not to and a whole heap of others in the price range your looking at. Did you have any idea on shape, pickups, what Tremolo?

• Members

You got your work cut out! There's hundreds, if not thousands out there. You got ESP (practically everything) Ibanez (again, practically everything!) Not to and a whole heap of others in the price range your looking at. Did you have any idea on shape, pickups, what Tremolo?

Thanks for your help...I know I want a doublecut and I'll most likely be modifying the guitars pickups aftermarket. I'm not much an ESP or Ibanez fan. I was thinking of a G&L Legacy with a humbucker in the bridge, possibly.

• Members

I'll most likely be modifying the guitars pickups aftermarket.

At $1,100 you should be abe to find something that will have EXACTLY what you are looking for without having to swap pickups...

So...

1. Floyd or no Floyd

2. HSS, HSH, or HH

3. Bolt, set, neck-thru

etc, etc.....

• Members

At $1,100 you should be abe to find something that will have EXACTLY what you are looking for without having to swap pickups...

So...

1. Floyd or no Floyd

2. HSS, HSH, or HH

3. Bolt, set, neck-thru

etc, etc.....

Well, the pickups I like aren't available in stock guitars. I think I'd wait no floyd, with the HSS configuration. Bolt, set, or neck-thru, I could probably be more lenient on.

• Members

Ah something with a bit of class? Well, as you definitely know Jerry Cantrell plays G&L, and to some it's the only true Fender!

You've also got PRS, a good few with tremolos, for a double locking system look at the Torero (SE) it is beautiful! If your not afraid of non traditional looks, The Parker P44 (with Piezo vibrato) Good for rock and jazz tones.

But again, there are more than a few choices for you, your well catered for!

• Members

Ah something with a bit of class? Well, as you definitely know Jerry Cantrell plays G&L, and to some it's the only true Fender!

You've also got PRS, a good few with tremolos, for a double locking system look at the Torero (SE) it is beautiful! If your not afraid of non traditional looks, The Parker P44 (with Piezo vibrato) Good for rock and jazz tones.

But again, there are more than a few choices for you, your well catered for!

Good info. I had a PRS, but sold it (non-tremolo)...they're nice, but something about them just isn't for me. I'm leaning towards a G&L Legacy HB or a G&L Rampage (jerry cantrell model)...I wish the Cantrell model has the HSS configuration, instead of just one humbucker...:facepalm:

• Members

You can get a body from KNE guitars, any routes you like.

Neck from warmoth,

Trem, knobs, switch, pots capacitors from GFS

and pickups from whom ever you like.

Should run you about $750 to $850 depending on how you finish the body.

too much work for some, but pretty fun way to go imo.

• Members

Sounds like you're describing a fat Strat (HB in the bridge, SC in the other two positions).

Lots of hard rock guys play them. Very easy to play Pink Floyd and fusion with one.

You can get them for as little as $120 (Squier fat Strat Bullet); $450 (Fender MIM standard fat Strat), and on up (Fender MIA fat Strat).

• Members

Thanks for the replies. I'm between the G&L Legacy HB or a G&L Rampage...which I'd have to have modified for two additional pickups and additional volume/tone controls.

quite frankly why would you buy a $600 rampage that you'd have to butcher and ruin the value of... when for the same price range (more or less depending on your choice) you can get a perfectly awesome fat strat, ready to go out of the box?

• Members

quite frankly why would you buy a $600 rampage that you'd have to butcher and ruin the value of... when for the same price range (more or less depending on your choice) you can get a perfectly awesome fat strat, ready to go out of the box?

Because the fat strat wouldn't have the ebony fingerboard or the fullness of the Rampage on the heavier stuff.

Archived