field recorders?

mike-o

• Members

Do you guys use a field recorder to record your practices and gigs? This is something we've been looking for, seems like a great tool to get new songs down and to hear how we sound live... I'm currently looking for one so PM me if you have one you're looking to get rid of, also looking for recommendations. Will I be able to get a legit one for under $200? thanks

I got a Boss Micro BR for $129 bucks and it does a nice job for field recording, but I have heard recordings from the Zoom H4 which were a bit nicer. Better mic and mic setup I think.

I use mine to record gigs and practice and it does a nice enough job. But if I were paying full price, I think I'd go Zoom H4.

• Members

H4

It's great, I have rec outdoor gigs to studio tracks and band prac. Does all very well. And a 4-track! The mics are great. Very easy to use. And I use it as a interface as well.

Highly recommended!

• Members

A local guy always brings his Zoom, either an H2 or H4, and a spider tripod (three bendy legs that you can stand up on wrap around whatever), to every show we play at a local venue. I have one of the recordings. Our drummer is very loud, and the room is fairly small. The PA also sucks and none of the instruments are miced, so it's just live drums, amps, and two vocals through a PA, with the Zoom recording in a corner wrapped on a decorative wall fixture. I can post a sample if you like. The results, for these circumstances, are surprisingly good.

• Members
Guys who own the H2, how is it for recording gigs and practices with a loud band?

Here are some gig recordings I made with my H2.

http://netmusicians.org/index.php?section=user&value=davecooper36

I love that thing!! I use it all the time and eventually I'll wear it out or break it. And when I do... I'll quickly buy another one. :)

I've had it for over a year with almost daily use and no problems though.

• Members

I bought the Tascam DR07 a few weeks ago when MF had them for $99. For the price, I don't think it can be beat. Super easy to record and several different modes to fit your needs. Has over 2 hours of recording time at the highest level with the included SD card. More than I will ever use!

• Members

I use the Zoom H2.... does everything I need it too. I've found though that if it is set back too far, using the internal mikes it gets a bit muddy. We normally run it off the board, but that doesn't give everything the correct balance. The best would be to have a couple of high quality omni-directional mikes going into it, but we haven't tried that. For practice it's great. You would want something different if you were making a demo.

• Members

I'm really interested in this as well. How do the H2's handle extremely loud volume? Our practise space is very small and our drummer is a little out of control lol. as a result it gets REALLY loud in there. Our live shows have not been much better. the only recordings I have of us live are ruined by the bass drum farting out everytime he hits it.

Archived