Xaviere XV-600 with P90s or Dream 180s?

burton4snow

• Members

I have some Dream 180's I've never installed, just because I haven't found the guitar I want to put them in, so I have no opinion specifically on those. I have an XV-600 with P90's and I dig it. When I made the same choice obviously I chose the P90's.

• Members

I have some Dream 180's I've never installed, just because I haven't found the guitar I want to put them in, so I have no opinion specifically on those. I have an XV-600 with P90's and I dig it. When I made the same choice obviously I chose the P90's.

Hmmm... and I seem to recall shortly after you posted yours, I got one w/p90's.

I still have that guitar and have done several gigs with it as a backup guitar and as my "ac/dc" ax - it really has a great crunchy tone, nothing like it.

I would get the p90's.

• Members

the dream 180s are the furthest thing from p90 tone in the history of pickups, imo. totally wasn't my bag. dream 180s are very fat and smooth which makes good clean tones but the bottom end, to me, seems remarkably stubborn in its unwillingness to crunch. just flubs instead. by comparison, p90s are ready and willing to break up and crunch anywhere anyhow anytime.

• Members

I'll chime in as an owner of both versions of the xv600. First and foremost I am not a big fan of P90 pickups so my opinion is biased anyway. Secondly, I consider my Dream 180 version of this guitar to be a pick-of-the-litter in terms of quality. Combine those facts and I rate the Dream 180 version higher...mine IS better and it just plain suits me better.

I've said it many many times, but the Dream 180 pickup and the XV600 semi-hollow body are a perfect match. Oh and the claim that the Dream 180 doesn't break up nicely is pure BS. Maybe with the wrong rig or bad settings one could have a problem, but to dismiss the pickup outright is a mistake.

• Members

i was under the impression that the only TRUE bucker sized p90's were BG Pure 90's... and for the record, the BG's are the best...

They weren't talking about HB sized P90s. :whisper:

...but you speak the truth in that Bryan is the only one doin' em up right in an HB package.

• Members

i was under the impression that the only TRUE bucker sized p90's were BG Pure 90's... and for the record, the BG's are the best...

He did say P90s twice and GFS P90s are true P90s.

Originally Posted by burton4snow:

"Do you get a true P90 sound or close out of the GFS P90s"

No doubt Bryan makes some bad ass'd P90s.:thu:

Archived