Let me change your mind about Trey

Alexbiscuit

• Members

haha yeah dude i saw that too. i see it as dividing up phrases

he walks back for the first half of the phrase and walks forward for the last half. flows with his solo, kinda funny.

when you let your mind go blank and concentrate on the melody and just play that stuff just happens

• Members

haha yeah dude i saw that too. i see it as dividing up phrases

he walks back for the first half of the phrase and walks forward for the last half. flows with his solo, kinda funny.

when you let your mind go blank and concentrate on the melody and just play that stuff just happens

That's one thing I like about him. He's definitely not phoning it in.

• Members

I kinda feel the opposite about Phish and Trey. Got into them cause they (at their peak) really could just branch off into anything at all during many of their songs, and be listening to each other and together enough to be brave and risk not finishing a song. Also, early stuff was more progressive and was already crazy. Then they got noodley (tired).

Around the first breakup, unless Page was leading a jam with his clavinet throwing down, I considered most of it tired noodling over chords. That being said, Fishman is everything I'd want in a drummer...he leads jams aggressively, and puts repeating fills during bars to increase the intensity very well. Find "The OJ Show". It's about all I need from them these days. Wish I got to see the Syracuse show last year...Tube got played, would've made a visit home better. That's usually a safe funk bet.

Medeski rips the clavinet, and I don't miss guitar there, but most jambands are different shades of boring.

• Members

glad you caught a tube, they were rare last year.

it's all about the peaks and valleys for me. music has to have the valleys so the peaks seem so grand.

as far as mmw, any time they play with scofield it's a treat! look up some videos.

they're coming with john butler trio to red rocks on friday and i sprained my ankle on monday so i can't catch them :(

• Members

Sorry, but I just hate jam bands. I dont get why everyone is in love with ANY of those bands. There are plenty of bands like them that are not as big.

because they are collectively creating somewhat interesting group improvisation on a nightly basis, and have done so over the span of many years?

• Members

Didn't change my mind. I respect him as a player but I just can't listen to it or any jam bands for that matter. Nothing against improvisation though. I have a heavy jazz background, love organ trios, and used to be in a jam band although I hated it. It was good practice though.

• Members

Trey Anastasio is as good as ANY guitarist out there. I dont love everything Phish has done but some of it is brilliant. (Ie Earher)

All thw folks who dont like jam bands: listen to a studio album. They have normal songs, too.

Archived