Let me change your mind about Trey

Alexbiscuit

• Members

I watched the first three minutes. I just don't get jam bands. To me, it's boring.

I'm sure the guy is a great player. Maybe if I were blown out of my mind on drugs I would think it was more interesting.

In 10 minutes The Ramones could play about 6 songs.

• Members

I watched the first three minutes. I just don't get jam bands. To me, it's boring.

I'm sure the guy is a great player. Maybe if I were blown out of my mind on drugs I would think it was more interesting.

you should have watched three minutes starting at the 5 minute mark, then

• Members

I've never quite gotten into Phish. I do love the Allman Bros, Gov't Mule, and Widespread Panic though...:wave:

• Members
I've never quite gotten into Phish. I do love the Allman Bros, Gov't Mule, and Widespread Panic though...
:wave:

Same here. I love other Jam bands but for some reason Phish doesn't do it for me.

Trey's more overdriven tone turns me off, maybe that's why?

• Members

He is a Great player and like at the 5 min mark shows exactly how Good he can be.

However much of the Phish material does not incorporate enough of this in their Jams imo.

I like him but bore quickly when he isnt going off.

• Members

Sorry ....that didn't do anything for me. Then I'm not that much into
prog/jazz/fusion stuff
. Sure he's good but not my cup of tea.

That's probably it right there. Trey is pretty far removed from the country blues Jam stuff I like; greatful dead, country Joe, Allman Bros, etc.

• Members

really the only reason i made this thread is because i generally hear a lot of negative opinion about his playing... and then i see a video like that

That's odd. He's one helluva player, I just don't dig the style. I didn't think his skill was ever suspect.

• Members
Same here. I love other Jam bands but for some reason Phish doesn't do it for me.

This^

I love the Dead, Allmans, Wide Spread Panic, Dark Star Orchestra, and many other "Jam Bands." I just never "got" Phish. It sometimes amazes me that such great players like the guys in Phish can come together and create such forgettable music.:idk:

• Members
It sometimes amazes me that such great players like the guys in Phish can come together and create such forgettable music.
:idk:

Awwww, c'mon...... it surely ain't the first time in musical history that THAT has happened, now, is it ??? :)

• Members

Love it. Please don't change my mind about Trey, I don't want to have to sell all of tickets to the southern run of the tour.

Phish are what they are and either people are into it or they are not. Usually no grey area to be found. At least nobody is bashing them like you usually have to hear when you disclose your a phan.

• Members

hey...I'm all for liking who ever you want...and if you're into trey then jam on...but really, I started it at 5:00 and let it play to the end and was not moved...sure he's a good technical player, but I always feel like I'm watching someone work out a calculus equation when he plays...solved for x...

• Members

I'm gonna have to go with those that say they love the Dead, Allmans, DSO, etc. but just don't quite get Phish.

I mean . . . they do some okay stuff, and I've heard quite a few things they did I liked, but having seen them live a few times, I left underwhelmed every time.

They're all excellent musicians in my opinion, but I just don't dig their stuff.

• Members

great band, fantastic guitar player, even better song writer. the tuff part of phish is that if you're not familiar with the songs, you can't appreciate the improvisation and it all sounds like mush to untrained ears. also, they're not big on lyrics, it's more about the jamming, so the shoe gazing crowd easily loses interest.

:)

Archived