NEW LAP STEEL PROTOTYPE!!

arincon59

• Members

The Ceder does look nice. Got a question tho: It *looks* like you used actual frets, rather than just strips of different colored wood thats flush with the fretboard - for a Lap Steel, isn't that kind of redundant? Or is it so you coudl ALSO play it Fretted-style? Just curious.

• Members

The Ceder does look nice. Got a question tho: It *looks* like you used actual frets, rather than just strips of different colored wood thats flush with the fretboard - for a Lap Steel, isn't that kind of redundant? Or is it so you coudl ALSO play it Fretted-style? Just curious.

Thanks!

I did use real frets on this particular steel....it is a little faster than inlays and I was in a time crunch on this one, so I used real frets.

You can actually fret it like a normal guitar, but the square neck makes it a little difficult to play 'normally'.

Thanks again!

• Members

The cedar top looks nice. What are the body woods?
A couple things I noticed, Corian makes a fine nut, but it looks like you have it cut flat across the top. A little back angle works better to keep the strings from buzzing in the nut. How high is the action? lots of players pick all up and down the neck so you don't want to get too low across the fretboard, 3/8" across the board is a good target to shoot for.
I'm not liking the flattened out top mounted football jack. In general, top mounted jacks can get in the way if you don't have a angled plug end. If your stuck on a top mount, there are some better solutions.
Nothing wrong with using fretwire for markers. I generally do inlayed but do use a vintage style narrow fretwire on my FPS model, just seemed to suit the style.

FPS-002-53.jpg
fps-001-31.jpg

• Members

A couple things I noticed, Corian makes a fine nut, but it looks like you have it cut flat across the top. A little back angle works better to keep the strings from buzzing in the nut. How high is the action? lots of players pick all up and down the neck so you don't want to get too low across the fretboard, 3/8" across the board is a good target to shoot for.

I'm not liking the flattened out top mounted football jack. In general, top mounted jacks can get in the way if you don't have a angled plug end. If your stuck on a top mount, there are some better solutions.

Nothing wrong with using fretwire for markers. I generally do inlayed but do use a vintage style narrow fretwire on my FPS model, just seemed to suit the style.

FPS-002-53.jpg
fps-001-31.jpg

Thanks for the info...nice steel by the way!

All of my steels from here on out are inlaid....finally found a nice width of blade for the table saw.

Body wood on this is basswood.

The next two are solid cedar w/bookmatched top, maple neck, walnut fretboard.

Pics soon!

• Members

FPS-002-53.jpg
fps-001-31.jpg

Thats GORGEOUS! :eek::love:

• Members

Thanks for the info...nice steel by the way!

All of my steels from here on out are inlaid....finally found a nice width of blade for the table saw ....

Thanks, those 2 sisters turned out great and most importantly they sound fantastic. Both are powered by BG-Pups with 6 way rotary switching, a HellaBucker / Lizard combo on the flame maple / padauk one and a set of BG Darks on the quilt / cocobolo one.

All of my steels from here on out are inlaid

Inlayed is cool too, but like I mentioned. nothing wrong with fretwire. It is high contrast, looks nice, and fairly quick and inexpensive to do if you use the narrow / low wire, about 1/2 the price of "normal" wire.

• Members

Cool steel. Nice job.

Constructive criticism:

I don't like adjustable guitar bridges on steel as there is no need.

Top mounted input jack is a no go for me personally.

Just my opinions.

Thanks man!

True on the bridge...just happened to have it laying around.

Archived