Would you buy a homemade pedal on ebay from a stranger?

• Members

This dude on ebay has an OCD clone. I like it because its red and prolly gonna cost about 60.

I'm a little concerned about buying someones project, I must admit.

I did ask him a few questions about it, which he answered with some length, and very quickly I might add. Seems like a nice guy, said it didn't hiss or pop and that'd he had made several pedals before this one. He also said he wasn't proud of the finish as the graphics (kool aid guy) were just stickers beneath clear coat, so there's some honesty I guess. Whaddya think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Obsessive-Kool-Aid-Overdrive-Pedal-/330439920766?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4cefc10c7e#ht_500wt_913

• Members

for the price point, I believe I would go with one of the GFS pedals for $50 vs that one...

Also, you have a Mesa Nomad amp. Is the OD function in that amp not adequate for your needs? Just curious because I don't use an OD pedal with my Crate VC 3112 since it has an OD channel. I do use one with my smaller amps that don't have that feature though...

• Members

for the price point, I believe I would go with one of the GFS pedals for $50 vs that one...

Also, you have a Mesa Nomad amp. Is the OD function in that amp not adequate for your needs? Just curious because I don't use an OD pedal with my Crate VC 3112 since it has an OD channel. I do use one with my smaller amps that don't have that feature though...

Welp, I used to use channel 3 for light OD and 2 for crunchy dist. But now I don't like channel 2 and use 3 for crunch, plus a boost for.... boosting. I want an od for 2 reasons:

1. Channel 2 doesn't work right for me for low gain, sounds very "one dimensional" like broken speakers, in a bad way, so a pedal thru channel 1would get my my light od sound back

2. It is my hope that perhaps layering an od with channel 2 will give me another interesting sound, who knows! Currently the button labeld CH2 on my footswitch is unused real estate, and this bothers me for some reason.

• Members
Welp, I used to use channel 3 for light OD and 2 for crunchy dist. But now I don't like channel 2 and use 3 for crunch, plus a boost for.... boosting. I want an od for 2 reasons:

1. Channel 2 doesn't work right for me for low gain, sounds very "one dimensional" like broken speakers, in a bad way, so a pedal thru channel 1would get my my light od sound back

2. It is my hope that perhaps layering an od with channel 2 will give me another interesting sound, who knows! Currently the button labeld CH2 on my footswitch is unused real estate, and this bothers me for some reason.

gotcha!

:thu:

• Members
Oh, you recommended the gfs business eh? I enjoy my xv-900, I do wonder about these pedals though. Ever heard the od?

I'm kinda torn, everyone wants handmade in the us stuff, and this is as handmade in the us as it gets, almost too much ya know?

just saying they seem like great bang for the buck pedals. I'm going to order the brownie pedal on my next gfs parts order...:thu:

• Members

I bought a Tube Screamer clone from a guy on Ebay named "wireman" and it had all these mods and stuff done to it as part of his clone- it was $99 and as good or better than any TS-9 style pedal I've owned, and it's very high quality :idk:

It's called the SRB808 I think?

Here is his site (he didn't have it up when I bought it)
http://www.effectspedalboutique.com/product.sc?productId=5

• Members

I'm not sure how to do multi quotes, and I bet it'd be tricky w/ a fone, soooo

Thanks ALL for responses! Much obliged!

BryanM: checked it out, he has gotten popular it seems, his stuff is a tad spency. Nice that you can customize everything tho... super cool

Lowbrow: if it was a situation where I had some upcoming gig and HAD to have something, I would've, but I just want it for funsies mostly, so I'm being "snobby" about what kind it is. That and I'm a stickler for those small hammond type boxes. I'm too poor to be a real gear snob though.

AngryTele: doesn't seem to have anything but a pc motherboard up right now, will keep my eyes peeled.

Mister Clubber: please let us know what it sounds like!

• Members

Here's my take.

I've built two pedals. They both came out working and sounding great. I'd say if the pedal actually works, it's a good deal to buy it.

Plus, unlike a pedal from GFS or Dano or whoever, if something does go wrong with it, you can pop it open and likely figure out very quickly what's wrong with it.

Say the switch quits working. Hey, that's a really easy fix on a hand wired pedal. Not neccessarily so with a mass produced pedal where everything is mounted directly to a PCB.

• Members

100% positive feedback. I bought a couple of pedals off of ebay a couple years ago and they sounded terrible. They were used DOD pedals. So just because they're factory made doesn't mean they're always the best.

• Members

Yeah idve gotten it but we had to stay waaaaaaaay late at our show last night (our bassis has a mesa basis m 2000 ans ampeg 810 so everyone always wants to use it) and I just forgot to bid.

Whatever I get will be either boutique or one-off boutique. In my ebay searches I have excluded the words "boss" "digitech" "behringer" and "danelectro."

There's a zvex distortron on the bay for a c note, BIN. Anyone like that thing? I'm worried it cant do the subtle very well.

• Members

Oh, you recommended the gfs business eh? I enjoy my xv-900, I do wonder about these pedals though. Ever heard the od?

I'm kinda torn, everyone wants handmade in the us stuff, and this is as handmade in the us as it gets, almost too much ya know?

Made in the good ole U.S.of A. And most likely with chinese parts. The whole made in USA thang is a bunch of {censored} for this reason. Get a GFS and let us know how it is. Or build the damn thing yourself.

BTW the Boss OD1 would do you fine, last forever and for not a bunch of money. What, you a pedal snob?

• Members

AngryTele: doesn't seem to have anything but a pc motherboard up right now, will keep my eyes peeled.

yeah I noticed that.He usually has 1 or 2 pedals.... There's a review and sound clips on TGP and they sound killer. If you email him he'll do a custom job, or at least put in whatever trannys you want if he has them etc;

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I'm drawing a blank on his name right now, but have you talked to...I think it's Mike? He's built pedals for Mandy and Danny and a number of other locals. I just texted my GF, see if she remebers his name. You oughta talk to him.

• Members
I'm not sure how to do multi quotes, and I bet it'd be tricky w/ a fone, soooo

BryanM: checked it out, he has gotten popular it seems, his stuff is a tad spency. Nice that you can customize everything tho... super cool

Yeah, at the time, he was newer and he was offering a "SPECIAL" for $99 and it came with the three way Marshall/Dumble/TS9 switch and the fat boost switch and he even included one of each OP AMP in the package so I could switch it out if I so desired (Burr Brown and standard 4559) :thu:

It took a few weeks to get it, and I sold off my "boutique" modded TS-9s and such.

• Members

I'm drawing a blank on his name right now, but have you talked to...I think it's Mike? He's built pedals for Mandy and Danny and a number of other locals. I just texted my GF, see if she remebers his name. You oughta talk to him.

Mike Parker. Awesome guy. He comes to our shows and made one of our other guitarists pedals. Its well made and works, but its just not my thing. Its a 5 knob marshall style pedal. In his defense we've been using it to try and get like powerful gain/crunch tones from lace sensors strat thru a bassman and $200 412, so we are setting up to fail. Also, I know his schedule is crazy. Might be worth a shot though, I'm sure ill bump into him soon.

• Members

Made in the good ole U.S.of A. And most likely with chinese parts. The whole made in USA thang is a bunch of {censored} for this reason. Get a GFS and let us know how it is. Or build the damn thing yourself.

BTW the Boss OD1 would do you fine, last forever and for not a bunch of money. What, you a pedal snob?

I think for this one pedal, I'm gonna be a snob. Look at my gear though, its modest I think. I gig epi and xaviere, I'm just being a one time snob here. Is that sooo wrong?

• Members
Yeah, at the time, he was newer and he was offering a "SPECIAL" for $99 and it came with the three way Marshall/Dumble/TS9 switch and the fat boost switch and he even included one of each OP AMP in the package so I could switch it out if I so desired (Burr Brown and standard 4559)

It took a few weeks to get it, and I sold off my "boutique" modded TS-9s and such.

Well sir, you sir lucked the {censored} out it seems. I just need to stumble upon a fledgeling builder I think.

• Members
Well sir, you sir lucked the {censored} out it seems. I just need to stumble upon a fledgeling builder I think.

Actually, here is EXACTLY what I got for the same price:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SRB808-Overdrive-2-toggles-EPB-USA-Handmade-/200477392365?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2ead623ded

He usually has one on Ebay for about $99

This is direct from the builder.

Archived