Telecaster neck pickups - The Creme de la Creme?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Call me a philistine ...

*massed choral roar of 'You're a philistine!!!!!"*

... but the best thing you can do with a Tele neck pickup slot is carve it out a tad and drop a nice, juicy, good-quality Strat pickup in there.

• Members

Call me a philistine ...

*massed choral roar of 'You're a philistine!!!!!"*

... but the best thing you can do with a Tele neck pickup slot is carve it out a tad and drop a nice, juicy, good-quality Strat pickup in there.

That's essentially what the GFS alnico fatbody does, and it doesn't require any pickguard surgery... :thu:

• Members

I'm no expert on this topic, although I agree that the Tele neck pickup can be a bit lacking. However, I've been very pleasantly surprised with the el cheaptastic set of Tonerider Hot Classics I've had put in my Fernandes Tele copy. The neck pickup in that set does a very credible Jimi. What's not to like?

• Moderators

I'm no expert on this topic, although I agree that the Tele neck pickup can be a bit lacking. However, I've been very pleasantly surprised with the el cheaptastic set of Tonerider Hot Classics I've had put in my Fernandes Tele copy. The neck pickup in that set does a very credible Jimi. What's not to like?

Hmmm, second endorsement and I kick myself for not thinking of that:facepalm:

• Members

Hmmm, second endorsement and I kick myself for not thinking of that:facepalm:

Check them out, I'm seriously impressed. My other Tele is a very expensive Masterbuilt Custom Shop relic - the Toneriders don't sound like it, they're hotter and rockier, but their sound is in many ways just as valid. And I got the set used for

• Members

I use a Bareknuckle 55 Stagger Blackguard set in my tele, and I really like the neck tones. It doesn't have the bite or twang of the bridge, but it's very clear and warm. It handles gain well too, something that the bridge pickup just gets too trebly on.

Archived