Telecaster neck pickups - The Creme de la Creme?

• Moderators

OK, so what are peoples experiences with this oft maligned pickup.

The covered Tele pickup is loved and loathed in comparable measures.

Me, I love the GFS Fatbody, and I do hear some good tones from the Twisted neck on the Baja Tele, but outside of that the covered Tele neck pickups don't do it for me.

Over on TDPRI, there's lots of fans of Don Mare and Fred Stuart's take on the Hamel Tallneck

Now I'm not interested in bucker alternatives or uncovered pickups in general as this pickup is to go in a trad looking guitar.

Sensible middle o road wisdom says the Fender Custom Shop Nocaster set is pretty darn good

Suggestions?

Experience?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've been a bit of a hater of this pickup in the past. But then a miracle happened. I was playing my tele with a USA covered pickup in the neck by accident and, on a clear setting, it sounded springy and sweet.

I had been planning on replacing it (and I still might) but I definitely see the appeal for certain types of music. If I replace it, I will probably put a JB Jr. in the slot and call it a day.

• Members

As in the APTR-1?

Interesting

Yes that one. At least that's what is suppose to be in it! I was told the bridge was swapped out for a Fralin, but there was no mention of the neck. So I'm assuming it's still stock. Had it for ages and really haven't pulled it apart to check.

• Members

Ignorant tosser that I am, I have to say that I just dont get this "Tele neck pickup doesn't work for me" thing.

Whats wrong with 'em....the neck pickups in my Teles sound great..maybe not as "snappy" as a Strat neck, but a really smooth fat tone.

I tend to use the neck pickup MORE than the bridge on a lot of my Tele playing.

:thu:

• Moderators

Ignorant tosser that I am, I have to say that I just dont get this "Tele neck pickup doesn't work for me" thing.

Whats wrong with 'em....the neck pickups in my Teles sound great..maybe not as "snappy" as a Strat neck, but a really smooth fat tone.

I tend to use the neck pickup MORE than the bridge on a lot of my Tele playing.

:thu:

This thread is closed to real players Marc:facepalm:

This about my crusade to build a Tele that I like 110%, and in the peace of my playing room, sound exactly how I think it should sound, would you deny me my small piece of Tele solitude?

Despite builing quite a few, I still haven't found one I wish to keep, although I did get near the last attempt

Real players just shouldn't think about this.....anyway, I think the answer is Nocaster in the absence of a Baja Twisted Tele neck

• Moderators

two of my teles are equipped with Kent Armstrongs. I'm very happy with those, especially for the price point.

Now ya see, I love price point and am a great believer in it, and the white Tele that Fretsy has, has a GFS Fatbody at the neck and that is just about the perfect Tele sized neck pickup I've ever used, but I know that a covered pickup can get a lot closer to that than I've yet found, I have two Tele builds coming up, both for me, and one is completely non Trad, and I want the other to be as close to trad looking as possible, and yet still make me want to keep it....s'all

• Members

Now ya see, I love price point and am a great believer in it, and the white Tele that Fretsy has, has a GFS Fatbody at the neck and that is just about the perfect Tele sized neck pickup I've ever used, but I know that a covered pickup can get a lot closer to that than I've yet found, I have two Tele builds coming up, both for me, and one is completely non Trad, and I want the other to be as close to trad looking as possible, and yet still make me want to keep it....s'all

they work great for the 4 way switch mod too...:wave:

• Members

The strat in my ave has the Duncan vintage for tele and its a damn fine how do you do.

Using that pickup, and my lowly nomad, I created my all time favorite tone..... of all time. Its got the juiciest surf/blues overdrive sound I've heard. Truly a delight.

Love me some tele neck pickups.

• Members

OK, so what are peoples experiences with this oft maligned pickup.

The covered Tele pickup is loved and loathed in comparable measures.

Me, I love the GFS Fatbody, and I do hear some good tones from the Twisted neck on the Baja Tele, but outside of that the covered Tele neck pickups don't do it for me.

Over on TDPRI, there's lots of fans of Don Mare and Fred Stuart's take on the Hamel Tallneck

Now I'm not interested in bucker alternatives or uncovered pickups in general as this pickup is to go in a trad looking guitar.

Sensible middle o road wisdom says the Fender Custom Shop Nocaster set is pretty darn good

Suggestions?

Experience?

If you're willing to go humbucker sized, the GFS Surf 90 is an excellent neck pickup. It's single coil, and very clear sounding for a neck pickup. No mud at all.

• Members

Fralin Blues Special or Tonerider Vintage Plus are my favorites. Not muddy. Just punchy clear and jazzy. Great for blues lead guitar or jazz chording.

Basically everything good about a telecaster minus the twang that you get at the bridge.

Archived