Whats the first song.....

fu2jobu

• Members
Wow, I have a notoriously bad memory and my first 'real' song was from when I was 6 or 7 years old.

Oh I remember songs further back than that, that's just the first one I remember liking because I liked it, regardless of what anyone else thought. The songs I remember before that were influenced by parents, siblings, classmates, etc. That's just the first one I remember hearing and thinking "sweeeeeeet" without anyone elses input :).

• Members

Well according to my Mum, it was Yellow Submarine, which apparently I used to sing as "We all lib in a ella submarine, a ella submarine, a ella submarine".

That's OK -- I thought John was singing "She has a chicken to ride"...

• Members
Oh I remember songs further back than that, that's just the first one I remember liking because
I
liked it, regardless of what anyone else thought. The songs I remember before that were influenced by parents, siblings, classmates, etc. That's just the first one I remember hearing and thinking "sweeeeeeet" without anyone elses input
:)

Fair enough. Being a late bloomer isn't a crime.

• Members

besides children's songs when i was young.....the first pop/rock song that got in my head for weeks was.....

i wanna hold your haaaaaaaand.....
i wanna hold your hand.

watched them on Sullivan.......and i knew music was gonna be part of my life :thu:

• Members

i think it might be Ray Parker Junior's Ghostbuster's song. i have tapes of me singing along to that. and the Jackson 5. and then my mum used to put on the Beatles and Rolling Stones and i'd jump up and down on the bed to them for hours. i was lucky!

• Members
besides children's songs when i was young.....the first pop/rock song that got in my head for weeks was.....

i wanna hold your haaaaaaaand.....

i wanna hold your hand.

watched them on Sullivan.......and i knew music was gonna be part of my life
:thu:

How is that one not a children's song? :confused:

• Members

My brother and I found a Beatles compilation album (the one with them looking over a balcony), in an old cub scout shed when we were about 6 or 7. I remember being completely transfixed and amazed by the following two songs:

A Day in the Life
I am the Walrus

They are still probably my favourite Beatles songs. I found the orchestral, building up psychadelic bit of Day in the Life sort of obscene, even at that age. And Lennon's voice on the Walrus. I was deeply impressed but also sort of spooked by both songs. They seemed so dangerous and edgy, and I felt like I was breaking some kind of rule by listening to them, which was really exciting.

... although my father seemed to dig them too!

• Members

Mine was a version of the Jacques Brel song Amsterdam by John Denver. Probably because the words were risque to my 6 year old ears (the main offending words being "belch" and "slut", I had no idea that "whores" was a bad word at the time!).

I still love this version of the song. JD's early work was pretty edgy, but overlooked now because it's so difficult to get on CD (in the UK at least)

• Members

Probably "Everybody Want's To Be A Cat" from Disney's "The Aristocats". I had the 7" 33rpm record with narration on one side and the songs on the other, and just about wore it out as a kid in the 70's. I recently found that record when cleaning out the attic at Mom's, and framed it for my music room, it's why I became a musician. :D

Speaking of John Denver, I also remember singing along with his "Thank God I'm A Country Boy" record back then too.

A lot.

:eek:

• Members

I can't remember which one was the very first, but "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head" was about as far back as I can recall. There were several Burt Bacharach songs I liked, ca. 1969-70. And the Carpenters. I think "Yellow Submarine" and "Penny Lane" were in there, too.

• Members
Puff, The Magic Dragon
, recorded by Peter, Paul and Mary ..... yeah, I'm an old bassturd:wave:

Puff stuck with me early from a friends B-day party. Also stuck in my head and the first record I had was Beatles Twist & Shout. Now this is stuck in my head... :facepalm:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Archived