Played an Epi Dot and an Epi Riviera today

Frets99

Dayum!! These are some great playing guitars that look and sound awesome!

I was very impressed with this playing through a De Ville with just a hint of overdrive. Man can she sing.

Riviera01.jpg

645148.jpg

I actually started out being really impressed by this DOT.

Dot03.jpg

638605.jpg

Really full bodied tone that rocks as well as anything I've played.

But I think I could make mad passionate love to the Riviera

• Members

I picked up one of those Rivera P-93s when they first hit MF.

I haven't gotten the action dialed in quite to my satisfaction yet because the bridge p'up spacer they used is too thick, causing the pickup to be a bit too high for lowering the action to my preference.

I also think the p'ups themselves could use more vibe and chime, but there's also a lot of stuff I like about that guitar. It stays in tune rather well for a Bigsby guitar and I found the guitar to have a nice phat bluesy voice. Makes me think of John Lee Hooker style tones. Also I find it to be one sexy bitch.

Bottom line, I like it too.

• Members

I've been thinking about getting rid of at least 2 of my 8 Epi Les Pauls and replacing one with a semi-hollow. I had been looking at low end Gretsch and Ibanez as well. I may take a good look at the Epi's too.
Thanks

• Members

^^ My 2 cents. If you want a bit more toward rockabilly, look towards the Gretsch, "blues" look towards the Epi's, "jazz" look towards the Ibanez.

Gross generalizations - sure - but from an old GAS'r, that's been my slant.

I've been thinking about getting rid of at least 2 of my 8 Epi Les Pauls and replacing one with a semi-hollow. I had been looking at low end Gretsch and Ibanez as well. I may take a good look at the Epi's too.

Thanks

I would definitely give them another look. I was really impressed with the overall quality.

• Members

I know I sound like I work for Hagstrom (I don't, scout's honor!), but I was all set to buy a Epiphone sheraton or dot when I stumbled across a used mint Hagstrom Viking Deluxe for $375 at Guitar Center with a heavy-duty gigbag.
It truly wiped the floor with the Epiphones in fit & finish, and sounded a little more "3D" and complex tone wise. Plus it's a beauty too! I seriously can't recommend them enough, the perfect compliment to my Tele & Strat. I don't have a digital camera (sorry), but mine looks just like this. Just another option to consider, I am looking at the Super Swede now. If $2200 Gibson's are nicer than these, I am the King Of Siam.
VID_CSB.jpg

• Members
I know I sound like I work for Hagstrom (I don't, scout's honor!), but I was all set to buy a Epiphone sheraton or dot when I stumbled across a used mint Hagstrom Viking Deluxe for $375 at Guitar Center with a heavy-duty gigbag.

It truly wiped the floor with the Epiphones in fit & finish, and sounded a little more "3D" and complex tone wise. Plus it's a beauty too! I seriously can't recommend them enough, the perfect compliment to my Tele & Strat. I don't have a digital camera (sorry), but mine looks just like this. Just another option to consider, I am looking at the Super Swede now. If $2200 Gibson's are nicer than these, I am the King Of Siam.

VID_CSB.jpg

I felt that way when I picked up a Hofner CT series guitar. Awesome.
The epis are quite nice, though.

HCTVT-SB_body-front.jpg

Here's my Epi.
HPIM0666.jpg

EG

• Members

Epiphone's semihollows are their best offerings. Top notch guitars.

Before I bought my Yamaha semi, I thought long and hard about getting a Dot. Played and sounded great, and pretty cheap, too. I didn't hear the "zomg muddy toanz" that are the usual complaint.

• Members

I have that P93 Riviera. Plays great although it needs some nut work... This is my first Bigsby guitar that doesn't stay in tune. I hear some pinging when tuning and Bigsby-ing so that's probably it.

The pickups are a little muddy and squeal at practice/gig volumes. When I get the money I will do a full electronics swap and either file the nut a little or get a new one and I think it will be a monster.

The 3 way switch and three volume, 1 tone knob setting give it a lot of versatility. The three jack settings are neck/middle, all three and bridge/middle.

Turning the middle volume off in the first and last positions yields neck in the first position and bridge in the last position. And of course either turning the neck volume down in first position or bridge volume down in the third position yields the middle pickup.

Archived