Anyone get a chance to try one of these polytune things yet?

tiltsta

• Members

Looks like a very cool pedal tuner for a hundred bucks. Strobe features for sensitive stuff, and all at once strum tuning. It even defaults to a needle type tuner if you use single strings.

[YOUTUBE]mGBG2OeayMY[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Bought one :wave:

Its pretty cool, tho ive found that the strum tuning is really only best suited for quickly checking if youre in tune once youve already tuned via single string mode. You can try and straight out tune all strings in strum mode, but if some strings are really off they might appear to be "in tune" for some reason :confused:

I can see it being great for gigging musicians to quickly check if they are in/out of tune between songs- just hit the switch and strum. Although I dont gig, its still a bit of fun to use and makes tuning a little less painful

• Members

I don't gig so the basis of the tuner is lost on me.

I had a Pitch Black which I also liked, but I definitely prefer the Poly Tune. I like the strobe function.

The polyphonic tuning is pretty cool... but it does show as all the strings being in tune when one string is audibly out of tune on a couple guitars... Usually the G or D strings but again, that's not why I bought it. I bought it because of it having the strobe-ish function in a small footprint for cheap.

• Members

I don't gig so the basis of the tuner is lost on me.

I had a Pitch Black which I also liked, but I definitely prefer the Poly Tune. I like the strobe function.

The polyphonic tuning is pretty cool... but it does show as all the strings being in tune when one string is audibly out of tune on a couple guitars... Usually the G or D strings but again, that's not why I bought it. I bought it because of it having the strobe-ish function in a small footprint for cheap.

Whats the advantage of the strobe? I dont get it :confused:

• Members

It's useful for setting intonation. Better precision is needed for that.

I can see why you need to be more precise when you set intonation as opposed to regular tuning, but I've never had a problem setting my intonation with the standard mode of any regular tuner (Tu2, pitch black, etc.) Those things are pretty precise as is.

• Members

I can see why you need to be more precise when you set intonation as opposed to regular tuning, but I've never had a problem setting my intonation with the standard mode of any regular tuner (Tu2, pitch black, etc.) Those things are pretty precise as is.

The strobe is much more precise, actually, 0,05 cents rather than 1 or 2 cents or something. I do agree with you that in practice, it doesn't make a big difference. Especially with the humidity, string wear, pressure applied, etc...

Good enough is good enough, I wouldn't mind having a Pitchblack myself.

• Members

Bought one...returned it...

Poly mode would show to be in tune...single-string mode would show that it was not. Would show only 4 strings (like I was using a bass) some of the time (even in regular mode)...so if it can't decide whether I'm in tune or not...I'll just keep on using my TU-2...

• Members

Bought one too.

Really good tuner.

Quick tuning during gigs. Just play all strings together and tune whithout playing each string apart.

Very good visability: the polytune lightens up in the dark.

Just one little problem. When I use my strat with floating bridge the polytune tends to change quickly. Better wait a few seconds and then tune.

I used it a few times on stage: it's reliable.

I think it isn't more expensive than a BOSS pedal-tuner, but it works faster and more accurate.

Archived