Amp question - how important is an effect loop

nuke_diver

• Members

I've never had one
:idk:

I've started gassing for the Mesa TA-15 .... it doesn't have an effects loop and is ~$900 so talk me out of it before it's too late
:cop:

If ya don't need one, get it:thu:

I have a tube amp w/no loop and love the tone and the feel/simplicity etc.

But it has some nice crunch so sometimes I wish it had an fx loop:)

• Members

my 5150 has a loop and I run a GE-7 and an NS-2 in the loop. My Soldano Avenger does not have a loop, and I really love this amp. Simple and awesome.

They do have benifits though. Like putting an EQ pedal in the loop is WAY different than running it out front. Its more of personal taste sort of thing. IMO

• Members

I don't use a lot of gain so that isn't a problem. I have a Crate V18 and I'm pretty ok with it but I sometimes GAS for a better amp. That TA15 sounds amazing in the clips I've seen on UTUBE and seems very flexible which I like cause I like to try and play a lot of different things. I also like the idea of a 2 channel amp. I play a Lonestar when I jam with my buddy and it's a great amp

Tom why do you say the 5:25 Express is a lot more amp? I'm off to check out clips of that too right now :thu:

Of course none of this is helping much...only the price might keep me from jumping...that and my wife :cop:

• Members

I've pretty much given up on effects loops, because I've always liked my pedals better when they've been in front of the amp.

Probably depends upon the amp, how you use it, the pedals, how you use them, and the sound you're driving at.

I've tried a lot of combinations, and always end up back with the pedals in front. Oh well.

If you're going two-channel, I'd recommend that you get separate EQ for each channel, or at least verify that the shared EQ can dial in both channels with roughly similar settings. I love my H&K 20th Anniversary Edition to death, but its one downfall is that the two channels demand radically different settings on the shared EQ. That makes switching between them a real pain. I've tried adding external EQ to bridge the difference but no dice. This amp may be extreme in this respect, but I'd keep my eye out for that potential issue.

Archived