Sell Bugera 333XL to get Bugera V22?

mmkco

• Members

Not much help over in the maps forum, so I thought I would try over here...

Hey Guys,

So I'm not a gigging musician any more and just play for fun. I came across a screamin deal on a Bugera 333XL. It was a 2x12 combo but I also got a headshell for it, so it can be a head and 2x12 open or closed back cabinet also. I like it, but I don't use that much gain. I never use the lead channel and I do not need 120 watts. I never even get it up to "1." I went to GC and tried a Bugera V-22 and it is a great sounding amp. Small, much lighter and still probably more than I need power-wise. I'm thinking I could move the 333XL (it's had all the fixes done to it), get the V22 and have some $$ left over. What say you all?

Bugera flame suit on...

• Members

If it doesn't do what you want/need then why keep it? Sell it, get the V-22 and be happy. Hell, I gig and I rarely "need" 120 watts (I have the 333 and 6260).

Just out of curiosity, do you gig with the 333?

• Members

120 is a big mother for home, hope you have hearing protection.

heck, even 22 watts is a lot,

..even 5 watts is a lot at home. The V5 goes to 1/10th of a watt. If you are going to get loud you will want something else with a bigger speaker, but if you play at or around TV volumes, their V5 is a pretty satisfyingly home amp imo.

• Members

Just out of curiosity, do you gig with the 333?

I have, and the only way I was able to was by using the line out volume to cut the overall volume output and run it through a 2x12 cab. I have a 12AT7 for the gain channel and a 12AU7 for the lead channel and that tamed them enough to get decent tones (both the 333 and 6260 have too much gain) at decent volume. The last time I used it was for an outdoor gig where the amps weren't mic'd but the vocals and drums were.

I usually either gig with my Epiphone Blues Custom 30 (awesome amp, heavy as hell) or I run a ValveKing 1x12 and a Marshall Haze 40 (also a 1x12 combo) in stereo. I also use my Super Champ XD through a 2x12 cab a lot.

Tube amps like to breathe. They do not start sounding like they should until you start to open them up. The V-22 will get better tone at a more reasonable volume, but it will still be loud; especially if you are wanting to saturate the power section. If you use the second channel for preamp gain you will probably be able to get decent tones at decent volume.

• Members

Sounds like you found some tubes that tamed the beast a little bit. I do really like the 333XL and you can get plenty of crunch at a whisper volume, but it feels like driving a really fast car in the granny gear!

Maybe I'll just try to let the GAS pass:lol: and try some different tubes to tame the 333XL a little. I usually run a Stereo rig with my 333XL on the left and Classic 30 with 1x12 extension cab on the right. I use a NOVA system as the "Splitter" so I can run the preamp of the 333XL into the classic 30. I know, it's WAY overkill for home use but I can't stop collecting gear and it's a really good sounding rig at low volumes. Thanks for the input!

Mike

• Members

Oh, I know that Bugera(Behringer) have had a lot of problems. My 333XL had to be taken in for the big fix, but has been good ever since. Not sure about the channel switching issues on the V22. I have a guy in my town that is a warranty repair center for Behringer so he's usually pretty up on all the issues. I'll see what I can find out. It is a really good sounding little amp though.

• Members

Steve is right, there was an issue with channel switching on the V22. It would be interesting to know definitively if that has been resolved.

I got the impression that it was a problem with the earliest models, but nothing quotable.

The only other thing I have seen in following the threads is that some of them show up with tubes that crap out really early in the game. This makes guys who are new to owning tube amps quite anxious of course, but swapping out tubes is a very straight forward operation, and it certainly does not mean there is a problem with an amp.

• Members

plus...if you have a Behringer tech there...it might be easier to get it repaired if there was an issue...

Have you looked at any other amps?

Not really. I have a Classic 30 and a Valve Junior head that I have modded a bit so I really wasn't looking. I bought an Epiphone Les Paul Amber on Monday and the V-22 just happened to be the amp I was playing it through and I loved it!! Was not planning that one at all!

Archived