New Bass Day...Need bass amp suggestions!

calclown

• Members

So my new bass came in! My first bass

eq4bartolini.jpg

Dean edge Q4 -Quilt top, bartolini pickups. It sure is pretty! I'll get some real photos up tonight.

Anyway I don't know what amp to get.

I want to stay mostly focused on guitar, but I need a bass amp.

No gigs, I play in my bedroom and I am fine with cheap solid state amps. In fact, cheaper the better. But I wouldn't mind a modelling amp with built in effects.

What's a good beginner, bedroom bass amp?

• Members

Look on your local CL for a used Fender Frontman 25B... it's the bass version of the 25R. When you find one, be sure it's the one in Fender black Tolex with Fender grille cloth (see the attached photos). They can be had for around $75, and sound like a vintage Fender Bassman. Pretty loud too, all considered. Probably one of Fender's best kept secrets. Excellent for recording too. Check out the specs and reviews through Google. :thu:

• Members

I'm looking through craigslist, but I can't drive too far atm and my local neighborhood is very lacking in music gear sadly. Looking for new options only, as when I see something for sale on CL I can search for reviews. But thanks for the suggestion. So you'd pick a frontman over rumble?

• Members

I'm looking through craigslist, but I can't drive too far atm and my local neighborhood is very lacking in music gear sadly. Looking for new options only, as when I see something for sale on CL I can search for reviews. But thanks for the suggestion. So you'd pick a frontman over rumble?

Yep - I like the Frontman 25B pictured above better because of the looks, and because of the tonal character (sounds like a tube bassman). You might check FleaBay too... these Frontman 25B amps might be getting scarce because of how good they sound.

• Members

No gigs, I play in my bedroom and I am fine with cheap solid state amps. In fact, cheaper the better. But I wouldn't mind a modelling amp with built in effects.

What's a good beginner, bedroom bass amp?

I have a Peavey MAX 158. Cost me less than $99 new. 15 watts, 8 inch speaker, Modern/Vintage voicing switch, Low, Mid, and High EQ, CD/Line-In jacks, Headphone jack.

Surprisingly good sounding.

• Members

I actually tried a bigger roland cube bass amp at the music store. I don't know if it was the bass I was using, my horrible playing or the amp itself, but it sounded pretty much like crap.

But I did like my microcube and I really don't need anything bigger. thanks for the input.

• Members

Look on your local CL for a used Fender Frontman 25B... it's the bass version of the 25R. When you find one, be sure it's the one in Fender black Tolex with Fender grille cloth (see the attached photos). They can be had for around $75, and sound like a vintage Fender Bassman. Pretty loud too, all considered. Probably one of Fender's best kept secrets. Excellent for recording too. Check out the specs and reviews through Google.
:thu:

Why are those better than ones with the blackface?

yhst-78457497489010_2110_148853270

• Members

So my new bass came in! My first bass

eq4bartolini.jpg

Dean edge Q4 -Quilt top, bartolini pickups. It sure is pretty!

I ordered one of those too. Doubt I'll actually receive it, but I followed through anyway.

I have a Fender Rumble 25 I like. It gets the job done on a budget.

• Members

the line 6 ld15 is my top choice if I go new. It should be like the studio but smaller and with effects built in. So if you give it a thumbs up I'll probably pull the trigger if I don't find anything this weekend.

Is 15 watts of bass roughly the same as 15 watts guitar. I mean what's enough for bedroom practice and MAYBE an occasional jam. I have 5 watt guitar amps at home and they're all plenty loud enough for me.

• Members
the line 6 ld15 is my top choice if I go new. It should be like the studio but smaller and with effects built in. So if you give it a thumbs up I'll probably pull the trigger if I don't find anything this weekend.

Is 15 watts of bass roughly the same as 15 watts guitar. I mean what's enough for bedroom practice and MAYBE an occasional jam. I have 5 watt guitar amps at home and they're all plenty loud enough for me.

nope. 15 good SS guitar watts, like Pathfinder or 15 watt Valvetronix, would need about 50-75 bass watts to be similar volumes.

• Members

people will disagree but i'd look for something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/PEAVEY-MARK-IV-4-BASS-AMP-HEAD-400-BH-400BH-AMPLIFIER-/320554243384?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa2859538

then look for a cheap cab.... and just turn the volume down for bedroom playing

they're a bloody great bass amp imo

if you get into it you'll have something giggable... if you don't, and decide to sell, you probably won't lose any money

• Members

Why are those better than ones with the blackface?

yhst-78457497489010_2110_148853270

They're both "blackface" 25B's I believe, but the version with the silver Fender grille cloth that I posted about has "the" tone to my ears.

The newer the amp, the more "vanilla" the sound seems. I don't know if they changed the amp or limiter circuits, or if they changed the speaker spec, or if they changed the cabinet material or the port (the area under the grille cloth is a slotted port), but there is definately something different about how they sound.

Archived