Strat HardTail Conversion

missedmyexit

• Members

Much easier to block the trem inside.

There was a company making converting plates that screw in over the existing trem hole, but I don't know if they are still around. And require extra screw holes. Otherwise, it's a long process of filling in the trem cavity.

• Members

I am a big hardtail fan, but putting in 5 springs and screwing the anchor bolts all the way into the body will make most any strat a hardtail.

Don't screw the bolts all the way into the body. Only to the point where the the trem can sit flush. The pivot point still sits off the body some because of the bevel.

To the OP, many people use a wood block or a 9-volt battery between the trem block and the cavity wall to keep the trem block firm in place.

Locking down the term will give you a lot of stability over floating it, but you won't quite get the hard, immediate attack of a hardtial Strat or Tele because the whole trem apparatus and springs will round that off and give some implied "sag."

• Members

OP says it's got a
Floyd Rose
on it. Do you want to keep the bridge or replace it with something more traditional?

How did I miss that?

Honestly, there is no easy way, especially if the Floyd is recessed. Whatever the method, it'll be more hassle than the OP could imagine. He would be better off selling the guitar and buying a hardtail.

• Members

The deluxe plus came with a fender floyd rose trem system that was kind of a combo of a floyd and a 2 point fender trem. I think it is pretty similar to with american standard bridge, except the saddles.

I'd say just lock it down with five springs and tighten the screws in the back.

• Members

Fender (MiM) and Squier should make HT strats. I like the Robert Cray model, but don't like the idea of paying $350 more because his name is on it.

Not enough market for them. Up until a few years ago Fender offered a hardtail American Standard, but D/C it because of low sales and lack of interest

• Members

How did I miss that?

Honestly, there is no easy way, especially if the Floyd is recessed. Whatever the method, it'll be more hassle than the OP could imagine. He would be better off selling the guitar and buying a hardtail.

Well, if he wants to keep the Floyd the Trem-ol-no is a good solution. About $50 on eBay.

• Members

Don't even try to do a full hardtail conversion unless you're a better than average woodsmith. I did one and got it to look good. But it was a pain in the ass to get absolutely smooth. Sell the damn thing and get a hardtail. With this one you'd need a new neck anyway because of the locking nut.

• Members
Not enough market for them. Up until a few years ago Fender offered a hardtail American Standard, but D/C it because of low sales and lack of interest

I'm not in the market for an AS, either. I want a more affordable model. I can't be the only one, either, because I see threads like this one all the time on guitar forums.

• Members

I'm not in the market for an AS, either. I want a more affordable model. I can't be the only one, either, because I see threads like this one all the time on guitar forums.

They weren't that expensive new. I picked mine up brand new about 5 years ago for about 800 bucks. There is a used Hardtail locally for about 600 bucks.

There are cheaper alternatives. Used Crays can be picked up cheap, also there is the Tom Delonge Squier and Fender version. Both can be bought cheap.

• Members

They weren't that expensive new. I picked mine up brand new about 5 years ago for about 800 bucks. There is a used Hardtail locally for about 600 bucks.

There are cheaper alternatives. Used Crays can be picked up cheap, also there is the Tom Delonge Squier and Fender version. Both can be bought cheap.

Do they not make the Mexican Robert Cray model anymore? They did not too long ago. Those should be affordable used.

Archived