Famous guitarists playing through non-stock guitars? Let's talk about it...

evh1984

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Famous guitarists playing through non-stock guitars

Can't believe nobody's mentioned Dr. Brian

418px-BrianMay.jpg

Brian May often modified his Red Special.

DOH !!!!! Ya beat me to it while I was capturing the image...LOL :lol:

• Members

I would hazard a guess that there are LOADS of modded guitars being played by pros on a regular basis.

Some people find it difficult to accept that stock anything might be good enough.

:thu:

To be fair, the only stock guitar I truly loved was a sig model :D

• Members

Yeah but most of the ones he smashed or burned were the early Pre-CBS small headstock guitars that he played in the early days. The guitars he was most known for playing were pretty much stock AFAIK.

I remember Chas Chandler (I think) being interviewed about the guitar smashing/burning and he said that those guitars were made from bits of other guitars specifically to smash up on stage.

That might be where the idea of him playing partsocasters came from. If you look at concert footage from Monterey the guitar he burned and smashed up was different from the one he played the rest of the concert. In fact I heard he had to soak the guitar in lighter fluid overnight to get it to catch fire properly.

Is lighter fluid a mod????

• Members

Some people find it difficult to accept that stock anything might be good enough.

seriously. I think its a mental thing. over on another gear discussion page ($$$;)) I see dudes shelling out thousands for booteek stuff.....and then swapping out something.

• Members

I think it'd be easier to name the famous guitarists who regularly played stock guitars.

Takes the fun out of it.

I think most guitarists are by nature tinkerers anyway.

After all, that's how the thing came into being in the first place. :thu:

• Members

A few more for the collection:

Trevor Rabin's Strat, which started off as a red '62 that he found in the back room of a Johannesburg music store in '72. Went through many changes, including a distincitive graphic painted on it and various pickups.

Adrian Belew's Strat, which was a late '60s model that had a set of actual '50s pickups installed by Seymour Duncan, an Alembic Stratoblaster preamp, and had a lot of things done to its paint job. Followed by heavily modded Mustangs(Roland GR synth electronics, Kahler trem, locking tuners, fancy paint jobs, 3 Seymour Strat stack humbuckers).

Steve Howe has used several modded guitars, including his '55 Telecaster with neck humbucker added and his Fender Broadcaster with a Badass bridge inset in the body and binding added.

Fred Frith's '60s Gibson ES345 with headstock mounted pickup.

Henry Kaiser's heavily modded '71 Telecaster and maple neck Strat, which had an early Floyd Rose and Bartolini pickups.

Archived