rock guitarists who alternate pick fast?

• Members

Funny that you guys mentioned Alvin Lee, there was a time i think in the mid sixties like 66 or 67 when he was billed as "the fastest guitarist in Rock" surprisingly, Rick Zaeringer , later known as Rick Derringer was actually much better at this and he could play amazing blues at these speeds and stop on a dime at the chord changes.

I heard him do this live in about ' 68 all nite but never heard him do it in the 70s or 80s or 90s the same. He was also doing modes and arpeggios, pretty far ahead of his time.

If you listen to The McCoys "Human Ball Blues " or "Stormy Monday Blues" these were recorded live at The Scene club in NYC where Hendrix used to jam- you'll hear what I mean-when I heard him he was even beyond this stuff.

Really messed me up because I started THINKING /dreaming of playing like that but it took Decades of practice to do it.

If you want to hear Clapton rip ( besides Crossroads ) " Have You ever Loved a Woman" off The Derek @ The Dominoes is a good one.

Another guy who ripped it up early on was Jan Akkerman from the group Focus.

Or the guy Danny Cedrone who did the solo in "Rock around the Clock."

The reason I'm going back in time is ' cause we ALL alternate pick fast now- it's 2010 !

Archived