Gibby Melody Maker vs. LP Jr

Sheraton

• Members

I understand this is no contest all things being equal. But what if all things aren't equal? What if the LP Jr was 2X to 3X the price?

I picked up a 2003 Melody Maker today off of CL. Mint condition (other than needing a setup). It's the older one with the single P-90 in black. Once I got it set up with new strings this, thing ROCKS! :rawk:

A simple mahogany slab with a single P-90 at the bridge, a stop tailpiece and a tune-o-matic.

The body is a little thinner than a LP Jr and it's a little lighter. Somewhere between a LP Jr and a SG Jr. It has the ugly thin headstock, no pickguard and the open grain black finish, but for 1/2 to 1/3 the money...

This thing plays and sounds great. Do these play and sound significantly different than the LP Jr's?

I'm thinking a LP Jr pickguard would improve the looks a ton. Will one fit? What color on a black guitar? White, pearl, tortoise, black pearl?

Whaddya think?

• Members
I understand this is no contest all things being equal. But what if all things aren't equal? What if the LP Jr was 2X to 3X the price?

I picked up a 2003 Melody Maker today off of CL. Mint condition (other than needing a setup). It's the older one with the single P-90 in black. Once I got it set up with new strings this, thing ROCKS!
:rawk:
A simple mahogany slab with a single P-90 at the bridge, a stop tailpiece and a tune-o-matic.

The body is a little thinner than a LP Jr and it's a little lighter. Somewhere between a LP Jr and a SG Jr. It has the ugly thin headstock, no pickguard and the open grain black finish, but for 1/2 to 1/3 the money...

This thing plays and sounds great. Do these play and sound significantly different than the LP Jr's?

I'm thinking a LP Jr pickguard would improve the looks a ton. Will one fit? What color on a black guitar? White, pearl, tortoise, black pearl?

Whaddya think?

looks like a true rock & roll machine. like the crate vc amp too! now go play some "Mississippi Queen"!

:rawk:

• Members

I love the look of the MM, but {censored} those necks are awful.

Have you ever played one or are you just spewing some {censored} you"heard"on the internut? I have one of the new RI ones and the neck is great. Nice and chunky. Not thin and wimpy. So,what does awful mean?:poke::poke:

• Members

I've owned and (stupidly) sold two of those P90 Melody Makers. Great guitars - every bit as fun and punchy as a Junior, but with even less weight. If I could buy one of them back for what I sold them for, I'd pull that trigger in a heartbeat. I did put a black Jr pickguard on the red one and think it improved the look a lot. Go for the tortoise!

• Members

Have you ever played one or are you just spewing some {censored} you"heard"on the internut? I have one of the new RI ones and the neck is great. Nice and chunky. Not thin and wimpy. So,what does awful mean?:poke::poke:

I've played several of the re-issues.

Why the {censored} would I repeat something that I read a stranger say, on the internet?

Awful for me would mean, like holding a painted baseball bat....or if you want to be kind, "nice and chunky".

• Members
I've owned and (stupidly) sold two of those P90 Melody Makers. Great guitars - every bit as fun and punchy as a Junior, but with even less weight. If I could buy one of them back for what I sold them for, I'd pull that trigger in a heartbeat. I did put a black Jr pickguard on the red one and think it improved the look a lot. Go for the tortoise!

I had a early/mid '60's SG Jr in alpine white that I sold in 1985 for $200 :facepalm: when I stopped playing electric (and guitar almost completely) for 20 years. This MM is as close as I've come to matching that one for sound and feel. People seem to really like the pickups in the current versions but the P-90 version like this are the best ones to me. I'll probably leave it as is for a while but tortoise is likely what I'll look for.

The neck isn't as fat as the SG faded I had a year or so ago. I really like it and I'm not a big fan of fat necks.

• Members

One of the advantages of the junior (for me) is the simple wrap around bridge - one of the things that seems to make it resonate in a particular kind of (great) way, so long as you have one with a good enough intonation.

Interesting point. Ive had a couple wrap around bridge guitars, the SG Jr I mentioned above and a PRS SE Soapbar II off the top of my head. This one is every bit as resonant as the PRS and I think comparable to the SG Jr I mentioned. But that was 25 years ago, it was a 20 year old guitar at the time and was a little thinner. What I'm saying is that I don't notice a difference in resonance between wrap around and stop tail/tune-o-matic.

• Members

Interesting point. Ive had a couple wrap around bridge guitars, the SG Jr I mentioned above and a PRS SE Soapbar II off the top of my head. This one is every bit as resonant as the PRS and I think comparable to the SG Jr I mentioned. But that was 25 years ago, it was a 20 year old guitar at the time and was a little thinner. What I'm saying is that I don't notice a difference in resonance between wrap around and stop tail/tune-o-matic.

Maybe it's not resonance exactly, but the response of the strings - a kind of tightness and solidity. That said, I have rarely played a gibson junior that doesn't resonate really well.

Archived