Just plug it in and play. The rest doesn't matter...

Willyguitar

• Members
The Yngwie resemblance is scary...

This guy is just like the Satriani clip: his tone sucks because of the equipment and recording device he's using.

And by "suck" I mean it isn't as full and musical as it could be.

Upgrade his equipment and he'll sound more "toneful"... but either way you slice it, the guy can play
:thu:

yeah but the Satch video isnt that bad. The other guy is so out of tune I cant even listen to it.

If that wasnt Satch but rather a forum member nobody would criticize his tone, its because its Satch everyone is saying it sounds horrible when it really doesnt sound that bad.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Good for them but what about you?

So what about me? I've gigged with high dollar gear, vintage gear and cheap MIC stuff.

I have a blast with any of it, play just the same and, most importantly, once again, the audience doesn't give a {censored}, nor can they tell the difference. At all.

• Members

it's impossible to judge the tone in the satriani clip... it's obviously recorded with the mic on the cam... listen to how {censored} the backing track sounds

disagree....it's not impossible at all...

here's joe again playing through a cheap peavey amp but with a good guitar...again using the camera's mic...the first part is exercises but the last little bit it's pretty clear that guitar sounds tons better while that amp is still pretty weak.

Overall much better tone...and it has nothing to do with youtube "compression".

[YOUTUBE]_x5Bmdoyi20[/YOUTUBE]

But whatever...if people here want to believe they can get just as good tones from a 5w SS practice amp and a knock off stagg type strat, as they could with a twin reverb and a USA strat...then fine...enjoy.

• Members

I chase tone for my own satisfaction, not others'. I would probably be an equally successful recording artist with a MIM Strat and a Hot Rod Deluxe as I would be with a CS Strat and a Two Rock. But I'd enjoy playing the latter quite a bit more, and I'd sound better.

What's the point of posting on a guitar forum if you don't care about this stuff? There's the player part of us and the gearhead part of us. You can definitely rock a crowd with cheap {censored}, but for recording, playing for my own enjoyment etc...I like having a tone that goes right by me and I like the chase and science/myths behind it. Nothing wrong with that.

• Members

I chase tone for my own satisfaction, not others'. I would probably be an equally successful recording artist with a MIM Strat and a Hot Rod Deluxe as I would be with a CS Strat and a Two Rock. But I'd enjoy playing the latter quite a bit more, and I'd sound better.

What's the point of posting on a guitar forum if you don't care about this stuff? There's the player part of us and the gearhead part of us. You can definitely rock a crowd with cheap {censored}, but for recording, playing for my own enjoyment etc...I like having a tone that goes right by me and I like the chase and science/myths behind it. Nothing wrong with that.

Definitely.

There are no rules or limitations to guitar.

I can have a custom shop metal guitar going through a 20 pedal pedalboard into a freaking mesa Rectifier and still play Blues, there are no rules to that.

• Members

Blues is the type of genre where people who know jack{censored} about guitar gear are found.

wow... thats has to be the asshat quote of the year...

so congrats on that...

not much more to say.. i guess..

• Moderators
Soz mate, but I can get it done with a 10 watt solid state practice amp, and often do.

Marshall MG10...great sounding little box.

Thing is Marc, and this is speaking from an audient viewpoint, the only people who can say whether you get it done are your audience, and if you gave them the option of Marc thru an MG10 and a Stagg LP copy or Marc with a Heritage through a 20W Handwound Marshall, you honestly think they want the MG10 nastiness?

After all a musician is just a guitar player if nobody wants to hear him, and ask anybody if appreciating van Gough is as satisfying by looking at his workds on an LCD screen or standing next to one of his paintings.

But yes, an MG10 does a job, as does a Pignose or a Smokey, and probably somebody somewhere will point out the inadequacies of any piece of kit we may pick up, but when all is said and done, (notice I didn't slip into "at the end of the day:)), most artists will want whatever comes between their hand and the audiences ear to enhance the music in their head, that is played by their hands

• Members

Blues is the type of genre where people who know jack{censored} about guitar gear are found.

I think all you have to do is wander over to TGP to discover that isn't true. Like 75% of the population of that forum are blooze players.

• Members
Thing is Marc, and this is speaking from an audient viewpoint, the only people who can say whether you get it done are your audience, and if you gave them the option of Marc thru an MG10 and a Stagg LP copy or Marc with a Heritage through a 20W Handwound Marshall, you honestly think they want the MG10 nastiness?

After all a musician is just a guitar player if nobody wants to hear him, and ask anybody if appreciating van Gough is as satisfying by looking at his workds on an LCD screen or standing next to one of his paintings.

But yes, an MG10 does a job, as does a Pignose or a Smokey, and probably somebody somewhere will point out the inadequacies of any piece of kit we may pick up, but when all is said and done, (notice I didn't slip into "at the end of the day:)), most artists will want whatever comes between their hand and the audiences ear to enhance the music in their head, that is played by their hands

Sean!

All this intelligent reasoning and common sense is something you are usually berating me for!:D

I wouldn't choose to use an MG10 particularly, but theres one here, and it's eminently usable, and in a non stompbox situation. more useful to me than for example the old silverface Champ I use to have that I was forever blowing the speaker on.

On the Punk (or toilet) circuit, it is common practice to have a 3 or 4 band bill with supplied backline.

When I turn up at a club, and the supplied amp is a knackered AVT100 with only the OD2 channel working, I have to get on with it...no point bitching to anyone, they dont give a {censored}, and using your own gear causes grief due to the tight band turnarounds.

Maybe I've just got use to playing with {censored} gear...at times I do end up onstage thinking "how the {censored} am I gonna get through the set with this piece of {censored}" but I do, and the promoter keeps booking us!

You also have to bear in mind that generally the audience are thrashing around, bumping into each other, fighting, chucking things and bending mike stands by smashing into them at the front of the stage.

They really dont give a {censored} about my gear, in the slightest.

But I do appreciate your point as to the difference between "getting the job done" and doing the job in a relaxed manner because you know your sound is spot on and your gear is good.

I CAN get it done on an Marshall MG, but in most situations would choose not too.

Anyway, hope you're good man.

• Members

So what about me? I've gigged with high dollar gear, vintage gear and cheap MIC stuff.

I have a blast with any of it, play just the same and, most importantly, once again, the audience doesn't give a {censored}, nor can they tell the difference. At all.

Again with the audience?

• Moderators
Sean!

All this intelligent reasoning and common sense is something you are usually berating me for!
:D

Actually that's not me I think you'll find.

And yes of course, thats why I often point out the difference between my viewpoint which is mainly from a tech view, and a proper gigging musician, as you are, and I say that not to big up or put down either of us, but as cold hard fact, I guess we're talking horses for courses, and your synopsis of your gigging arrangement is far more appropriate shows how things in real life work, however I would still say that an MG10 is nasty and that Marshall knocks em out on the back of it's name to mainly people who don't know better, or who wouldn't know good cork laden tone if it passed straight through their head.

I guess the equivalent was for me when I rode dispatch for a few years, I mostly used my own BMW for a lot of the time, but on certain days I'd pick a pool bike if I knew I had to do a load of local hard wear and tear hacking, and while it did get a job done, it wasn't as enjoyable as wheeling out my old faitful and carving up 300miles and get off the other end with a grin sorta thing

I guess there isn't a right or wrong answer, and if some lesser stuff can do a job, then cool, I know a lot of carpenters in the building trade who buy a new saw every 3-4 months, whereas my dad owned two for at least twenty years and every weekend he sharpen and set it, oil the handle and then clean n oil the rest of his kit, guess we live in athrow away age where some stuff is so cheap that it's hard to knock it for any other reason than it ain't posh enough

Still don't really think this is all a good reply, but I see where you're coming from, but there are many people who own guitars and gear for many different reasons and who are we to say that their reasons are any less valid than ours

can't we go back to callin each other cunts and less of this common sense sorta stuff, it lays heavy on my breast

• Members

No, actually Sean, you are right , I'm being a {censored} .:D

Everybody has the right to use whatever gear they like for whatever reason without having to explain themselves to anyone.

You know waaay more than I do about all the minutae of guitar techiness, and I do tend to be a bit stubborn.

So SX to Soloway, MG to Matchless, whatever floats anyones boat is good for me.

I'm just being a grumpy git coz I took a tumble yesterday, and I've smashed myself up a bit and am hurting a lot, and have carpet burns on my head!

• Moderators

You know waaay more than I do about all the minutae of guitar techiness, and I do tend to be a bit stubborn.

Thats why everybodies opinions count, except guitarmandp, although maybe even he has a part to play.

Yes I know minutiae, and I guess I can be useful, but I have no concept anymore of what a gigging musician needs, wants or considers appropriate, it's only in places like this we can kick it out of each other with threads like this....although I now vote we nip round Leeds Uni, Dept of History and give that {censored} Will a good rogerin:thu:

• Members

For me, it isn't about some unachievable Holy Grail of Tone, but about playing a guitar that I'm comfortable with into an amp with venue-appropriate power capabilities. After that, it's about listening and playing _with_ and not _against_. [That is unless playing against is the intended outcome for a specific context.]

It's not about tone, it's about context. And mindset. Guitars, amps, and effects are just tools. Different tools require different skill sets, so it becomes more about having the appropriate tools and the appropriate skills necessary to achieve an intended outcome. And when the ideal tools are not available it is about having the right mindset to not fight the tools but to adapt your thinking to make them work for the situation. If you work well with your tools, your tools will work well for you.

• Members

Thats why everybodies opinions count, except guitarmandp, although maybe even he has a part to play.

Yes I know minutiae, and I guess I can be useful, but I have no concept anymore of what a gigging musician needs, wants or considers appropriate, it's only in places like this we can kick it out of each other with threads like this....although I now vote we nip round Leeds Uni, Dept of History and give that {censored} Will a good rogerin:thu:

(Willy puts a volume of Gibbon's 'Decline and Fall' down the back of his undies... who said health and safety is a dead letter in an arts dept?)

I still hold to my point of view here... of course it COULD have sounded better with boutique gear, but it would have made no tangible difference to my enjoyment, and I am a person who might actually care a bit about such things in general... therefore I very much doubt it would make ANY difference to the rest of the audience... especially after a couple of jars of the ale they serve around here. Of course, what makes you as the player feel good about is a different matter, but even here, more expensive or more refined is not 'better' for many individuals, and one person's rubbish is another's treasure.

Mind you, it really cracks me up when I see a band doing Chicago blues etc, and in between numbers doing the banter in a broad Yorkshire accent (wats the next one loove? Oo aye! Cream'd be greeet). Not very Mississippi.

Archived