What great bands have you recently discovered? Also, recommendations?

2pacHendrix

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm always intrigued by how someone on the internet is always JUST finding out about In the Aeroplane Over the Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel. It's like the Sgt. Peppers or Dark Side of the Moon of internet message boards at this point.

It's such a great album, but an interesting thing I've noted is that there's such a short time-frame for liking them. A lot of people seem to get so absorbed with them that the album defines that part of their life so much that after a few months it creeps them out to listen to it because mentally it's like stepping back into time or something and reliving emotions. Any album can do that, I guess, but NMH seems to have that effect on people at a higher rate. Other people find they come back to it and something about it, songs, dude's singing, that it just irks them. Whatever.

So I sort of just got into this band, Pains of Being Pure at Heart. On paper I should {censored}ing hate this band. Terrible name, rich Ivy league kids, instant blog hype to fame, pitchfork thumbs up, super sugary. But {censored} if they don't know how to write a hook. Just good pop music.

also, to go oldschool, how bout the Kinks? I only knew them for the few obvious singles, but then I heard about their album Village Green Preservation Society. Such a great album, and so idiosyncratic for it's time (going the straigthfoward pop + british folksky type thing while everyone else was going for a pan-psychadelic thing) that's just timeless.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I'm always intrigued by how someone on the internet is always JUST finding out about In the Aeroplane Over the Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel. It's like the Sgt. Peppers or Dark Side of the Moon of internet message boards at this point.

It's such a great album, but an interesting thing I've noted is that there's such a short time-frame for liking them. A lot of people seem to get so absorbed with them that the album defines that part of their life so much that after a few months it creeps them out to listen to it because mentally it's like stepping back into time or something and reliving emotions. Any album can do that, I guess, but NMH seems to have that effect on people at a higher rate. Other people find they come back to it and something about it, songs, dude's singing, that it just irks them. Whatever.

Yeah, man I kinda see what you're saying. I listened to that album the whole September of last year and I like to listen the whole album atleast once every 2 or 3 months, it's just that good. Like, I can't listen to one song of it and not play the rest of the album, just like DSotM and Sgt. Peppers.

Anyway, I ordered Panacea's album 'Ink is my Drink' It should be at my house by June 14th. Can't wait!

CqTEG2TL2F8&feature=related

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

So I sort of just got into this band, Pains of Being Pure at Heart. On paper I should {censored}ing hate this band. Terrible name, rich Ivy league kids, instant blog hype to fame, pitchfork thumbs up, super sugary. But {censored} if they don't know how to write a hook. Just good pop music.

It's been 10 years since I was into NMH full on, which makes it kind of hard to ever go back to, because something that intense just isn't meant to be felt forever. There's an expiration on most music, but I think it's shorter with stuff that's so emotional because it's hard to listen to it when you're not fully engaged, and it's impossible to always be fully engaged.

Anyway, I second Pains of Being Pure at Heart, but I know exactly why I like them. They're what you get if you put The Smiths and My Bloody Valentine in a blender, and I don't like many bands more than those two.

Here's my extra suggestion (in the spirit of recent discovery):

A Place to Bury Strangers:

[YOUTUBE]MR5JV3qXbak[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I've recently discovered Swedish guitarist Thomas Larsson.

[YOUTUBE]wj36vDzO8xg&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Guitar solo kicks in around 3:38.

[YOUTUBE]FXTJWZtYegQ&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Tasty fills and a Gilmourish solo at 2:02.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

If anybody likes Ratatat, I HIGHLY suggest you listen to El Ten Eleven:
bKnYtjUBT_4
UBTUAHGpQqE&feature=related
taLwyQXYnQI&feature=related

Anybody dig company of thieves?
AS6E9WzPlQs

They have a cool classic rock vibe about them. They're basically the only band I like that has that vibe cause there a so many bands that just copy the artists that influenced them.

Archived