What great bands have you recently discovered? Also, recommendations?

2pacHendrix

• Members

I keep an IPOD docking station on our Kitchen bay window and play music every night while feeding my 18 mos. old little girl. She LOVES Vampire Weekend and A. Punk in particular. Definitely a fun groovy tune.

A few new ones for me from this past year are Whiskeytown, The Agrolites, and Spoon. Spoon is very reminiscant of the Beatles in terms of melodies and groove.

Lou

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I actually discovered most of this stuff last year, but as busy as I am, I often don't have time to just sit around and look for bands... And most of the time I discover bands by playing with them and actually liking them :eek:

Future of the Left

[YOUTUBE]tAwliet2vqo[/YOUTUBE]

Also suggest the songs "You Need Satan More Than He Needs You," "adeadenemyalwayssmellsgood," and "Manchasm."

The Enemy

[YOUTUBE]7ZCVds_Q3WE[/YOUTUBE]

Also suggest "You're Not Alone," "No Time For Tears," "Sing When You're In Love," and "It's Not OK."

Moneybrother

[YOUTUBE]83sP9eeA9Mw[/YOUTUBE]

Formerly of the band MONSTER. Also suggest "Magic Moments," "Down at the R," and "Guess Who's Gonna Get Some Tonight?"

Warren Zevon (of course, this is probably the most insulting example song to post, but I like it a lot, so... {censored} it.)

[YOUTUBE]qHDdqubE7zQ[/YOUTUBE]

Also suggest "Splendid Isolation," "Mohammed's Radio," and "Poor Poor Pitiful Me."

The Gossip

[YOUTUBE]_MqyktFMoXg[/YOUTUBE]

Also suggest "Heavy Cross," and "Your Mangled Heart."

That's just a few, but I'm lazy.

• Members

This:

Folder-5.jpg

Pure energy and rock and roll from a bluesy party band that almost, almost, almost...

J. Geils's guitar work is surprising, and with Magic Dick's harp and Peter Wolfe's, ahem, enthusiam, it's a great album to rediscover for the first time.

It's getting heavy rotation on my mp3 player.

• Members

Nice! You're just like me. May I recommend some artists you should check out?

Say Hi to Your Mom

A.C. Newman

The Mountain Goats

Beirut

The Apples in Stereo

Doves

Rogue Wave

The Shins

Sea Wolf

Okkervil River

Most excellent, thank you. I'm very familiar with Rogue Wave, The Shins and Okkervil River. Very good stuff! I will be spending some quality time checking out your other suggestions!

• Members

Nice! You're just like me. May I recommend some artists you should check out?

Say Hi to Your Mom

A.C. Newman

The Mountain Goats

Beirut

The Apples in Stereo

Doves

Rogue Wave

The Shins

Sea Wolf

Okkervil River

Most excellent, thank you! I'm very familiar with Rogue Wave, The Shins and Okkervil River. Very good stuff! I will be spending some quality time checking out your other suggestions.

• Members

A friend just recently turned me on to The Flaming Lips. I can't believe no one told me how cool they are.

I've stood up and said yeah...:thu:

(The music starts at about 0:45 if you don't wanna listen to him talk.)
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members
I keep an IPOD docking station on our Kitchen bay window and play music every night while feeding my 18 mos. old little girl. She LOVES Vampire Weekend and A. Punk in particular. Definitely a fun groovy tune.

A few new ones for me from this past year are Whiskeytown, The Agrolites, and Spoon. Spoon is very reminiscant of the Beatles in terms of melodies and groove.

Lou

Spoon kicks ass! :thu:

[YOUTUBE]OXyKveeE32U&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Hey 2PAC,

That's one of my favorite tracks from Spoon. Love that groovy acoustic style and the singing and voice is very throw back to the 60s- and like I said- the Beatles in particular.

Lou

I love 'em. It's hard to describe spoon. They are very beatles like, but with a modern twist. They have great rhythm in every song, and are folky, but not really. They're just really good 'chill' music and one of the modern bands a lot of middle aged people respect.

• Members

Umphrey's McGee was a recent pleasant discovery. Prog rock jam band - can code all day listening to the tunes just roll by. Free (about 80 CDs worth) music downloads in their archive - check 'em out.

Also finding iPod joy with Govt Mule, John Mayall, Walter Trout and Steely Dan (old and new school stuff)

Great thread...

• Members
This:

Folder-5.jpg

Pure energy and rock and roll from a bluesy party band that almost, almost, almost...

J. Geils's guitar work is surprising, and with Magic Dick's harp and Peter Wolfe's, ahem,
enthusiam
, it's a great album to rediscover for the first time.

It's getting heavy rotation on my mp3 player.

HMMMM, that hand isn't a full house......:facepalm:

• Members
in_the_aeroplane-turns_ten.jpg

Just bought this album and it is fantastic. :thu: On the review in Barnes and Nobles it said 'Along the likes of a marching band on acid' and that sealed the deal for me! I listened to it on the way home with my family and no one liked it, but whatever, I like it. No actually I LOVE IT!
Definantly recommended for anyone who likes The Decemberists.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

K, bump. I lost ALL my artists from A-N on my ipod and most of them were from limewire, so now I have a long week ahead of downloading all the songs again.
Anyway, back on topic:
veneer-jg.jpg
I just this Jose Gonzalez album, called Veneer, and it is freaking amazing! Highly recommended to anyone who likes Iron & Wine.

Archived