Greatest Riffs of All Time

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, I was gonna say, this thread goes 3 pages before anybody mentions a Stones song?
:facepalm:

Yeah, "Satisfaction" anyone? "Start Me Up?" "Miss You?" "Jumpin' Jack FLASH" fercryinoutloud?

You people.
:rolleyes::D

Duh! Yup, how the heck did we ALL forget The Rolling Friggin` Stones?

Now... to get back to my original question: WHAT makes those riffs so memorable? Is it a rhythmical thing? Is it the feeling in those riffs? A combination of both?

• Members

If you can believe Wikipedia, they didn't actually change their name to

Black Sabbath till August 1969.

Their 1st single, "evil Woman" was released in December 1969.

A cover of a song written and recorded earlier that year by Crow, a Minneapolis band. It seems that the Black Sabbath version was never released in the US until 2002. I wonder how the royalties are going for the two members of Crow who wrote that song.

Ozzy and friends....

[YOUTUBE]cgxtjusOZ3o[/YOUTUBE]

Crow.... The horns were added after the band left the studio. They were not pleased. The horns were played by an outfit called Chicago Transit Authority.

[YOUTUBE]U7k5QotUznQ[/YOUTUBE]

• Moderators

Black Is Black by Los Bravos.

:thu: Love that one. I used to love playing that riff and sing the lead. Lot's of tricky fun.

My favorite riff of all time is...

[YOUTUBE]qFhM1XZsh6o[/YOUTUBE] all of them!

And...

[YOUTUBE]AJrCegNN4Ik[/YOUTUBE]

And...

[YOUTUBE]F2qTJkWnhoU[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

breadfan by budgie.

for me the greatest riffs sound simple but that makes em so hard to get right. when a musician comes up with a great riff and performs it well, it's magic.

a riff is great if it goes on in your head after hearing it and the same thing happens to lots of other people. there's no rules to write one i guess.

• Members

I've thought about this for a long time. A very long time. I've gone through my entire CD and vinyl collections. I've gone through every iTunes track I have. I've listened to every conceivable classic riff from every famous, semi-famous and no-name guitarist I could find. I've basically listened to them all. And I have come to the inescapable conclusion that the greatest guitar riff of all time has to be the opening riff in "The James Bond Theme", which was written by Monty Norman and played by a guy named Vic Flick. It's classic. It's genius in it's simplicity. It's world famous. Everyone knows it. It has become part of our collective unconscious. It still sounds as good today as the day it was first played. It has achieved legendary status. It will most likely never die. Taking all of these points into consideration it has to be the single greatest guitar riff of all time.

• Members

And now for something completely different. How about a country riff. Since the fellow playing this is a good friend, I have heard the story behind this song many times. The song was a top 10 hit in 1957. I can even remember it as a wise old 8 year old. It was an early country cross over hit for Marty Robbins. The song was arranged by Mitch Miller. The guitar player was Billy Mure (who turned 95 yesterday). Mitch asked Billy what could be done to "liven up" the song a bit. Billy started fiddling with his guitar and came up with the distinctive guitar riff (I guess you could call it a "riff") that plays throughout the song.

Billy's official 95th birthday party takes place at Squidlips in Sebastian, Florida this Sunday from 5-9. Come on by if you are in the area. He and his band will be playing.

White Sports Coat and a Pink Carnation....

[YOUTUBE]zD8MnvyAi6I[/YOUTUBE]

Archived