Looking for pickup ideas for my strat

mdintx

• Members

Hey Folks,

I'm going to make a pickup change in my Squier strat. So far, I've got:

1) Agile strat with GFS vintage alnico pickups

2) Sheena is stock with the Kent Armstrong humbucker in the bridge and the humbucker sized single coil in the neck.

3) Epi Les Paul with Burstbucker Pros.

This is the guitar:

HPIM1026web.jpg

It's routed HSH.

Some of the ideas I had were doing a single pickup in the bridge, either a humbucker sized P-90 or a hotter humbucker. I also thought about a Surf 90. I'd like to keep it under $100.

Any ideas?

• Members

A 22 fret neck with a 2 point trem, on a Squier.:confused:

that is awesome, but something I've not seen before. :cool:

A p rail might be a cool pup for it,
guitar-bass-pickup-electric-guitar-picku

I think you can wire it to be a P 90, a humbucker (with the rail on), and also just the front rail (for more of a strat single coil sound) with the pickup selector switch.

• Members

The Squier Standards have had 22 frets and the 2 point trem and good saddles for at least the last 10 years or so. The Bullets, Affinities, CVs etc have the 21 frets and vintage trems.

mdintx, which exact set are your GFS pickups? Are they the Premiums? The Alnico IIs or the Alnico Vs? The IIs are similar to the Fender CS54s and the Alnico Vs are similar to the Fender CS69s.

I have the single coils bases pretty well covered but I do kind of have the hots to convert one strat to the Surf 90s but that will be three projects down the list.

Right now, my guitar that gets the most play time is a cheapy Harmony that I put a Dimarzio SDS1 in. That's Dimarzio's take on a P90 in a single coil size housing. I think I paid $20 shipped for it on the Bay. I didn't care for it a whole lot on the other two guitars I had it in, but I put it in the Harmony, then plugged the Harmony into a Tweed Champ clone and I haven't stopped smiling since.

:lol:

DSC_5413a1.jpg

• Members

get a set of Rose Meriposa's when Ken gets them in stock and be done with it... you won't be dissapointed... great cleans and even better dirt...

How will that sound markedly different from the Agile strat?

• Members
The Squier Standards have had 22 frets and the 2 point trem and good saddles for at least the last 10 years or so. The Bullets, Affinities, CVs etc have the 21 frets and vintage trems.

mdintx, which exact set are your GFS pickups? Are they the Premiums? The Alnico IIs or the Alnico Vs? The IIs are similar to the Fender CS54s and the Alnico Vs are similar to the Fender CS69s.

I have the single coils bases pretty well covered but I do kind of have the hots to convert one strat to the Surf 90s but that will be three projects down the list.

Right now, my guitar that gets the most play time is a cheapy Harmony that I put a Dimarzio SDS1 in. That's Dimarzio's take on a P90 in a single coil size housing. I think I paid $20 shipped for it on the Bay. I didn't care for it a whole lot on the other two guitars I had it in, but I put it in the Harmony, then plugged the Harmony into a Tweed Champ clone and I haven't stopped smiling since.

:lol:

DSC_5413a1.jpg

That is verrrry pretty, reminds me of johnny ramone.

OP: I had a, SD phat cat in the bridge of my strat, loved it. Think vintage sg type tones. Classic rock your face off. I would put a single coild in the middle and then maybe a dream 180 w/ the option to coil tap... that'd be a sweet, ultra vintage tonal pallet.

• Members
How will that sound markedly different from the Agile strat?

:idk:... all i know is that the Meriposa's are killer pickups that should cost a whole lot more than they do. i own a set, silverring233 has previously owned a set, and etawful owns a set... PM those guys and ask them about the Meriposa's... although i do like you idea of a hummy sized P90 in the bridge though...

• Members

I must have been living under a rock or something, had no idea. Are the bodies smaller? I see they are agathis bodies, no idea on how that sounds or feels.

• Members
A p rail might be a cool pup for it,

guitar-bass-pickup-electric-guitar-picku

I think you can wire it to be a P 90, a humbucker (with the rail on), and also just the front rail (for more of a strat single coil sound) with the pickup selector switch.

This. :thu:

• Members
Actually my V60s and Phattys are on sale for $99.00 for a set. Either would be a great choice in this guitar.
:thu:

The Phattys would be an option.

I'm really wanting to do something unique with my pickup choice, visually but with tone as well.

Any other unconventional options?

• Members
The Phattys would be an option.

I'm really wanting to do something unique with my pickup choice, visually but with tone as well.

Any other unconventional options?

this or the GFS Surf 90's if you want unconventional. I'm currently refinishing/rebuilding a partsocaster that I am going to put that set in...:o

Archived